Texas toast sloppy joes are an easy and cheap meal made with slices of Texas toast baked in the oven until crispy and then topped with homemade not so sloppy joe sauce and cheese.
What beer pairs well with the BEST Texas toast sloppy joes?
The beer: hazy Hearted IPA from Bell’s Brewery.
Who doesn’t love a local legend? That’s what Bell’s Two-Hearted is. This new release is a play on the now-famous beer.
Hazy IPAs are among my favorite types of beer. It is juicy, tropical, and easy drinking and it pairs perfectly with the sauce in this dish.
What TV show should you binge on?
For this Mitten movie night, I HIGHLY recommend heading over to HBO and binging on Our Flag Means Death. This show had me laughing up until the finale where I will say I shed a few tears, even though it is a comedy. Rhys Darby and Taika Waititi lead the cast if that gives you just a taste of what to expect. And it was created by David Jenkins who also created the amazing show, People of Earth.
- Baked garlic Texas toast. Thick-cut bread is smothered with butter, sprinkled with seasonings, and toasted until golden brown in the oven. My favorite brand is Aunt Millie’s
- Ground beef. Using lower fat-content ground beef means draining off less grease after browning.
- Onion and green pepper. Sauteed in butter.
- Seasonings. Simple pantry seasonings like chili powder, salt, and pepper. Add sweetness with brown sugar.
- Sloppy joe sauce made with ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, and a dash of steak sauce.
- Sharp cheddar cheese. My favorite type of cheese, but feel free to use whatever cheese you have on hand.
How to make Texas toast sloppy joes step-by-step
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spread each side of the bread with butter and place on a lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle the top with garlic powder and dried parsley.
Flip the bread and sprinkle the other side with the seasonings.
Place into the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven and use tongs to flip each piece over. Do not put the bread back into the oven.
For the tangy sloppy joes, brown the ground beef in a pan until cooked through and no longer pink.
Use a strainer over a bowl and spoon the beef into it to let the grease drain off.
In the same pan, sautee diced onions and green peppers in butter. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes more.
Add the ground beef back into the pan then add the rest of the ingredients.
Stir until well combined and simmer over the heat for 2 minutes more.
Spoon the mixture equally over the 6 pieces of toast.
Sprinkle the top with the sharp cheddar cheese.
Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes more.
Tips & Variations
- Don’t feel like using your pantry ingredients to make this? A can of Manwich can be substituted for the seasonings and sauce.
- Skipping red meat? Substitute the ground beef for ground turkey or chicken.
- Make your own homemade white bread to use for Texas toast with this recipe from The Flavor Bender.
Place any leftovers in a covered container and refrigerate. Enjoy within 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.
The sloppy joe sauce can be frozen once cooled in a covered container or Ziploc bag for 3 months. Place the frozen container in the refrigerator 1 day before using it to thaw.
White bread can be frozen as a whole loaf, just use it within 1 month. Place in refrigerator to thaw for a few hours before using.
More ground beef recipes
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Texas Toast Sloppy Joes
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- medium sautee pan
- wooden spoon
- 6 slices Texas toast bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 pound ground beef I use 80/20 mix
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter each side of the bread and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.6 slices Texas toast bread, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Sprinkle the top of each slide with garlic powder and dried parsley.2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- Flip the bread and repeat with the garlic powder and dried parsley.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and use tongs to flip the toast. Top each slice with the sloppy joe sauce.
- Sprinkle each slice with the shredded cheese.6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake for 5 minutes more. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- In a medium saute pan, brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Remove the beef to a strainer over a bowl to drain off the grease.1 pound ground beef
- In the same pan, saute the onions and green peppers in the butter until browned but still slightly crunchy, about 3-5 minutes.1 tablespoon unsalted butter, 1 small onion, 1 green pepper
- Stir in the garlic and saute for 1 minute more.1 clove minced garlic
- Add the ground beef back into the pan with the onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle the seasonings over the ground beef mixture and stir.1 tablespoon light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Now add the ketchup, mustard, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and steak sauce.1/2 cup ketchup, 1 tablespoon mustard, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- Simmer for 2 minutes more and turn off the heat.
Tips for making this recipe:
- Make sure that the butter is at room temperature before spreading it over the pieces of bread. Cold butter can cause tears in the bread.
- Drain the grease in a wire colander over a bowl before adding it back to the onion and green pepper mixture. Using a bowl to catch the grease makes it easy to discard in a place other than the sink.
- To store: add the toasts to a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. reheat in the oven or air fryer for 5 minutes at 375 degrees.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 28, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten