This incredibly easy recipe for chipotle salsa chicken is made in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker for the most tender and flavorful chicken you’ve ever had.
The versatility of this recipe means it can be served sliced or shredded to have on hand for quick dinners or meal prep.
What is chipotle salsa? Chipotle salsa is different from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, so make sure to grab the correct one. While they have similar ingredients, the salsa has everything pureed already. If you get the chipotles in adobo sauce you can use a food processor to break down the whole peppers in the sauce with a small amount of water.
Serve this chipotle salsa chicken in 3 ways
Sliced chipotle chicken is a great weekday lunch meal prep added on top of rice, lettuce, pinto beans, and avocado ranch drizzled on top.
Shredded chipotle chicken has the chicken diced or shredded and added back into the cooking liquid. Great again on top of rice or in tacos, quesadillas, or burritos.
Creamy chipotle chicken is made with cream cheese added to the diced or shredded chicken. So simple, but it adds a nice creaminess that cuts some of the heat.
- Chicken breasts. Use two whole chicken breasts in this recipe. You do not have to do anything with them if used in the pressure cooker or in the oven.
- Chipotle salsa with a small amount of water. This canned already prepared salsa is a simple way to add tons of flavor to your favorite recipes.
- Cream cheese. To make a creamy version of this, add cream cheese before serving.
How to make chipotle salsa chicken step-by-step
Add the chicken breasts to the bottom of the Instant Pot/Pressure Cooker.
Top the chicken with a can of chipotle salsa and water.
Close the top on the pressure cooker, and set the valve to close.
Set to ‘manual’ pressure for 10 minutes. Click ‘start’.
When planning this recipe, add a total of 20 extra minutes to the cooking time so that you can account for 10 minutes for the pressure to come up and 10 minutes to let the pressure naturally release.
Yes. Just add an additional 5 minutes to the manual pressure cook time for 2 chicken breasts.
Once the pressure has been released, open the lid and serve either sliced or shredded and added back to the liquid in the pot.
If serving creamy, add cream cheese to the pot and set it to ‘simmer’, do not add the lid back on and stir until the cream cheese has melted for about 5 minutes.
Tips & Variations
- If you do not have an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, bake these in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Prefer dark meat? Use 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs in place of the chicken breasts. Or use a combination of both.
- Make your own chipotle salsa with this recipe from Platings and Pairings.
Let the chicken cool down and add it to a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven, depending on what recipe you use it in.
If cream cheese was not added to this recipe, it can be frozen. Make sure the chicken has been cooled and add it to a freezable container with a lid. Place in the refrigerator 1 day before using to thaw.
Want more spicy recipes?
Serve the chicken on tortillas or in a chipotle burrito bowl. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Chipotle Salsa Chicken
- instant pot optional, I show directions for making in Instant Pot and add notes for baking chicken in the oven
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 7 ounces chipotle salsa medium or hot
- 1/2 cup water
Creamy Chiptole Chicken
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- Add the chicken breasts to the Instant Pot.2 large chicken breasts
- Top with the chipotle sauce and water.7 ounces chipotle salsa, 1/2 cup water
- Close the Instant Pot lid and move the nozzle to seal.
- Set for 'Manual Pressure' for 10 minutes. Hit start.
- Let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and serve either sliced or shredded in the juices.
Creamy Chipotle Chicken
- Shred the chicken and add it back to the liquid in the Instant Pot.
- Add 4 ounces of cream cheese to the pot.4 ounces cream cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to 'Simmer' and let the cream cheese melt for about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken however you like. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- To bake in the oven: Add the chicken breasts to a baking dish and pour the chipotle sauce over the top of the chicken. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Make sure the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- To store: add to a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave, stovetop, or oven.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on February 28, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten