This smoked sausage sandwich is easy to make and so delicious! Smoked sausages are stuffed with mozzarella and then air fried until the cheese is melted. Top with sauteed peppers, and red onions, with a simple tomato and balsamic vinegar sauce.
This week for Mitten Movie Night, I made one of my favorite categories of food: the ‘sandwich’. Topped with saucy goodness this smoked sausage and peppers is a well-deserved reward any night of the week.
What beer pairs well with smoked sausage sandwiches?
The beer: Laguinats IPA.
When you want a beer that pairs pretty much with anything from a beer maker that pretty much hits it out of the park on every beer, this Lagunitas IPA is the beer you reach for.
What TV show pairs well with an easy recipe and cold craft beer?
Then finishing up Orange Is The New Black. I have spent many nights since last Friday binge-watching it. What shows are your favorites? I will need a new one once this is over.
The ingredients and why they work together
These mozzarella-stuffed smoked sausage sandwiches have-
- Smoked sausages with sliced mozzarella. These two work really well together when cooking in the air fryer. The sausages are already cooked so all that needs to be done is heat them up and melt the cheese. Popular brands are Eckridge and Johnsonville.
- Sweet peppers and onions. Sautéing brings out the sweetness in the peppers and onions.
- Spaghetti sauce, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and sugar. Spaghetti sauce lends lots of flavors and Italian seasoning that mixes perfectly with balsamic vinegar. Use a little sugar to cut the acidity.
- Hot dog buns. I like to steam hot dog buns from the bakery in the microwave for 30 seconds before using them for the sausages.
Visit YouTube for a video of how to make these
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches
How to make smoked sausage sandwiches step-by-step
Use a knife to cut the sausages about 75% through lengthwise.
Cut the mozzarella into 6 slices lengthwise.
Cut the mozzarella slices down to the size of the smoked sausages and save the ends for a snack later!
Add the sliced cheese to the cut in the sausages.
Place the cheese-stuffed sausages into the basket of the air fryer.
Set the air fryer to 350 degrees. Place the basket in the air fryer and cook for 6 minutes.
I like to top this smoked sausage recipe with simple sauteed peppers and onions
Remove the stems and seeds from the mini peppers. Dice them and the red onion.
To a pan add oil, peppers, and onions. Sautee over medium/high heat for 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
Sprinkle in the salt, pepper, and sugar.
Finally, add the spaghetti sauce and balsamic vinegar.
Use tongs to remove the sausages from the air fryer and add them to the buns.
Tips & Variations
- If you do not have an air fryer, you can make these on the stovetop in a large covered saute pan. Fill the bottom of the pan with about 1/2 cup of water, add the sausages, and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted.
- Add some spicy flavor by using jalapeno smoked sausages instead of regular smoked sausages.
- Make your own homemade hot dog buns with this recipe from The Flavor Bender.
If there are leftovers the sausages can be added to the buns and placed in a covered container. Place the pepper topping in a separate covered container. Refrigerate both. Eat within 3 days. Reheat the sausages in the air fryer and the sauce in the microwave or saucepan on the stove.
It is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
More sausage recipes
Top the sausages with the peppers and serve with a handful of chips. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Smoked Sausage Sandwiches
- air fryer
- small sautee pan
- 6 smoked sausages
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese cut into 6 slices
- 6 hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup diced mini sweet pepper
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
- Cut a slit down the length of the smoked sausage.6 smoked sausages
- Take the mozzarella cheese and cut into 6 slices.6 ounces mozzarella cheese
- Place the sausages in the air fryer basket. Fry at 350 degrees for 6 minutes.
- Chop up the peppers and red onions.1/2 cup diced mini sweet pepper, 1/2 small red onion
- Add olive oil and peppers and onions to a pan.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sautee over medium/high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.2 garlic cloves
- Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and sugar.1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- Pour in the spaghetti sauce and the balsamic vinegar.1/2 cup spaghetti sauce, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Serve the ausages on buns and top with the pepper mixture. Enjoy!6 hot dog buns
Tips for making this recipe:
- Don’t have an air fryer? Cook in a covered saute pan with 1/2 cup of water for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- To store: You can keep these right in the bun and add them to a covered container. Add the peppers to another container and refrigerate them both. Eat within 3 days. Reheat the sausages in the air fryer and the peppers in the microwave or saucepan on the stove.
Originally published in June of 2017. Updated post in May of 2022 with new photos, recipe updated to use whole smoked sausages instead of links & they are now stuffed with mozzarella cheese and made in the air fryer. The mini sweet peppers instead of large individual peppers.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on April 2, 2023 by [email protected]
Leave a Reply