Want a french fry recipe for when you’re craving salty and crunchy? Pesto fries are drizzled with a buttery pesto sauce and make a great snack or side dish.
Who doesn’t love a big pile of hot, crispy french fries? They are like a really great little black dress, they go with everything and can be dressed up with a few accessories. The ‘accessories’ for these fries happen to be a delicious parmesan pesto sauce that is drizzled on and then baked in. Sprinkle with more cheese and you’ve got a great dish for this Mitten Movie Night.
This pesto fries recipe is inspired by a hot dog food truck that we had dinner from at our local energy cooperative customer appreciation day. I was sad that I didn’t get the name of it because if I had, I probably would be following it like a Grateful Dead groupie.
While waiting in line to order the smell coming out of the food truck was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Once I was up to the window I ordered a bacon-wrapped hot dog and for the side, pesto fries. They came out piping hot and loaded with pesto, and cheese and tasted even better than I expected.
I locked the flavors away in my mind and knew that like most wonderful things I eat, I had to come home and recreate this Pesto Fries recipe and pair it with some great craft beer.
This french fries recipe has-
- Frozen French fries. I like to use thin and crispy frozen French fries that I cook in the air fryer. But you can use other types like crinkle, steak, or thick cut.
- Melted butter, prepared pesto, garlic, and parmesan cheese. A simple sauce to drizzle over the hot French fries.
What movie or TV show pairs well with fries and beer?
I’m sure you have probably heard of a little show that is sweeping the horror scene called, The Haunting of Hill House. While Halloween is over, this show will keep you in the creeps for a long time. My recommendation, when you start watching, is to plan for a binge session because you will NOT be able to turn away.
What beer pairs well with pesto fries?
The beer: Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ from Lagunitas.
Lagunitas is a brand that we have on hand at our house fairly regularly. This beer, in particular, is one of my husband’s favorites and can usually be found in a mixed case at Costco with other ones, like Hazy Wonder.
Visit YouTube for a video of how to make these
How to make pesto fries step-by-step
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees or to the temperature that is on the package of fries.
On a sheet pan, place parchment paper. Spread the whole bag of frozen french fries to the pan in a single layer.
Cook according to package directions, mine took about 30 minutes flipping halfway through.
In the last 5 minutes of cooking, make the pesto sauce that goes on top.
In a heatproof cup or glass measuring cup, melt the butter.
To the melted butter add the minced garlic and Parmesan cheese.
Then the prepared pesto sauce.
Finally, pour in the olive oil. Stir to combine completely.
Take the French fries out of the oven and pour the pesto sauce over the fries. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes.
Take out and serve individually with parmesan-Romano cheese sprinkled on it.
Can you make the French fries in the air fryer instead of the oven?
Yes. Cook at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, shaking the basket every 5 minutes so that the fries don’t stick to the bottom.
Can I use homemade pesto in this recipe?
Yes. There is a great recipe from Love and Lemons that is one of my favorites to make.
Place any leftovers in a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 6 minutes. Sprinkle more parmesan on top before serving.
Looking for a dish to serve with these parmesan pesto fries?
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
- large baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 28 ounce bag of french fries cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan-romano for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees or to the temperature that is on the package of fries.1 28 ounce bag of french fries
- On a sheet pan, place parchment paper. Spread the whole bag of frozen french fries to the pan in a single layer.
- Cook according to package directions, mine took about 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, make the pesto sauce that goes on top.
- In a heatproof cup or glass measuring cup, melt the butter.1/4 cup butter
- To the melted butter, add the minced garlic and Parmesan cheese.2 garlic cloves, 1/4 cup parmesan-romano
- Add the prepared pesto sauce.2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- Finally, pour in the olive oil. Stir to combine completely.1/4 cup olive oil
- Take the french fries out of the oven and pour the pesto sauce over the fries. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Take out and serve individually with parmesan-romano cheese sprinkled on it. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- To store: add to a covered container and refrigerate. Reheat the fries in the oven or air fryer.
Originally published in November of 2018. Updated post in June of 2021.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on April 16, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten