Ground beef Philly cheesesteak has ground beef filling with diced green peppers and onions. Drizzle with melted garlic butter and mozzarella cheese, then bake.
Ah, the sandwich. *Insert heart eyes and longing look here* How do I love thee? Sandwiches are hands down my favorite thing to eat. Why? Because there are so many different ways to eat them! I call them ‘blank slates’.
It’s hard to believe that this recipe is close to a MILLION views on TikTok! While I did get some pushback on the name that I chose for this recipe, stating that it’s more of a sloppy joe or loose meat sandwich, I have been educated and will move forward more cautiously with regional recipes. But I do want to share just a few of the rave reviews this recipe received.
*Made these! Every bite was gone! Amazingly good!! Thank you.
10 out of 10, so good. It’s going in the recipe book.
*Made this for dinner tonight and my family literally DEVOURED them.
For this Mitten Movie Night, I made this Philly cheesesteak recipe with ground beef, diced onions & green peppers, cheese, and mini-sub buns. But the final part of these baked sandwiches is adding melted garlic butter to the top before baking.
What movie pairs well will ground beef cheesesteaks?
I am a big fan of series and I tend to watch them more than I watch movies lately. The Queen’s Gambit on Netflix is FANTASTIC! Be prepared to get hooked easily, so carve out the time because it will be hard to pull yourself away.
What beer pairs well with baked ground beef cheesesteak sandwiches?
The beer: Yuengling
This is a beer that we can get locally thanks to living close to Indiana, but it is only available in a few states. It’s an American lager that is very similar to traditional lagers available.
These easy Philly cheesesteaks with ground beef have-
- Cooked lean ground beef. I like to use 80/20.
- Diced white onion and green pepper. A simple combination that adds lots of flavor to the ground beef.
- Simple seasonings like salt, pepper, ground mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Easy is sometimes best.
- Shredded mozzarella cheese. Use whole milk for a good melt.
- Butter and minced garlic melted together for the garlic butter topping. This adds a whole new layer of flavor and the butter bakes into the bun.
- Soft bakery-style mini sub sandwich buns.
Visit YouTube for a video of how to make these
Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteaks
How to make ground beef Philly cheesesteak step-by-step
Add the ground beef to a skillet and cook over medium heat until the meat is browned and no longer pink, takes about 6-8 minutes. Drain any grease.
While the meat is cooking, dice the onion and green pepper. Make sure to remove the core and seeds from the green pepper.
Remove the pan then drain the beef. I drain my meat by using a medium to large size bowl with a mesh strainer over the top.
Wipe the pan down and return it to the stove. Return the heat to medium/high and add the ground beef back to the pan. Then add the diced green peppers and onions, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper, ground mustard, and 1 clove of minced garlic.
Cook until the peppers and onions have softened, 4-5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray. Add the mini-sub buns to the pan standing cut side up.
Stuff the buns with the ground beef mixture evenly.
Sprinkle with cheese.
In a microwave-proof mug or glass measuring cup, add the butter and put it into the microwave to melt for 30 seconds.
Add the remaining minced garlic. Stir.
Slowly pour the melted butter on top of each ground beef cheesesteak that’s in the baking dish.
Place the baking dish into the oven and bake the sandwiches for 8 minutes.
Tips & Variations
- Swap out the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey.
- Instead of using shredded mozzarella, you could make a homemade cheese sauce like this one from Spend With Pennies.
Store in a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer. Place in the oven or air fryer at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.
It is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
More sandwich recipes
Serve with chips and a beer and here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Ground Beef Philly Cheesesteak
- medium saute pan
- 9×13 baking dish
- microwave proof bowl
- 8 mini sub buns
- 1 pound ground beef I use 80/20
- 1/2 medium white onion diced
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 garlic cloves minced, 1 for the ground beef & 2 for the butter topping
- Heat a saute pan on medium/high heat. Add the ground beef to the pan. Cook ground beef until browned, for 6-8 minutes.1 pound ground beef
- While the meat is cooking, dice the onion and green pepper. Make sure to remove the core and seeds from the green pepper.1/2 medium white onion, 1/2 green pepper
- Remove the pan then drain the beef.
- Wipe the pan down and return it to the stove. Return the heat to medium/high and add the ground beef back to the pan. Then add the diced green peppers and onions, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper, ground mustard, and 1 clove minced garlic.1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard, 3 garlic cloves
- Cook until the peppers and onions have softened, 4-5 minutes. Turn off the heat.5 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray. Add the mini-sub buns to the pan standing cut side up.8 mini sub buns
- Stuff the buns with the ground beef mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle with cheese.4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a microwave-proof mug or glass measuring cup, add the butter and put it into the microwave to melt for 30 seconds.5 tablespoons butter
- Add the remaining minced garlic. Stir.3 garlic cloves
- Slowly pour the melted butter on top of each ground beef cheesesteak that's in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish into the oven and bake the sandwiches for 8 minutes.
Tips for making this recipe:
- You can substitute ground beef for ground chicken or turkey.
- To store: add the sandwiches to a covered container. Reheat in the microwave for 45 seconds. Reheat in the oven or air fryer at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. Eat within 3 days.
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 25, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten