This quick chili recipe comes together in a flash! Out of a can chili goes from stove to table in 15 minutes so it’s perfect for busy nights.
I have tried dozens of chili recipes over the years. Even one with a pumpkin that did not go over well at all with my 10-year-old. Some were great but my boys love this original recipe that I’ve made forever. Like my My Dad’s Chicken and Rice recipe, this one I learned from a parent, my mom.
The base of this recipe has always stayed the same and has been the same two things forever. It’s the recipe my mom showed me and I haven’t veered from it. One can chili with beans, one can with no bean. Round out canned chili starter with other canned items like dark kidney beans, cannellini beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup.
Do you see now why this is called ‘Out of a Can’?
This 7-can recipe is made with store brought canned items like-
- Two types of starter: canned chili with AND without beans
- Three types of beans: chili, dark red kidney beans, and cannellini beans
- Canned tomatoes already seasoned with chili spice mix
- Condensed tomato soup and a can of water to give it a thinner consistancy
- Cooked ground beef
How to make this easy chili recipe step-by-step
Start by cooking the ground beef. Cook in a large pot on medium/high heat for around 5 minutes.
I like to use 80/20 ground beef in this recipe. Using a higher fat percentage beef, you will need to drain the grease before adding the rest of the ingredients to the cooking pot.
Drain and return the meat to the same pot. No need to dirty another one!
Drain the liquid and rinse the cannellini and kidney beans, then add them to the pot.
Open the rest of the cans through the tomato soup and add them to the pot.
Add the tomato soup then fill the same can with water to the top. Pour the water into the pot.
Put a lid on the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Tips & Variations
- Not a beef eater? Swap out the beef for ground turkey or chicken.
- Feeding a crowd? This is a great dish that can be doubled or tripled and kept warm in a slow cooker.
- Serve this chili with a classic cornbread recipe like this one from Cafe Delites
More chili recipes
Serve with shredded cheese and crackers.
And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Out of a Can Chili
- large pot
- can opener
- 1 pound ground beef I like to use 80/20 mix
- 10.75 ounce can condensed tomato soup
- 1 can water use the tomato soup can
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomato, chili ready
- 15.8 ounce can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 15.8 ounce can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounce can chili with beans
- 15 ounce can chili no beans
- 15.5 ounce can chili beans
- Start by cooking the ground beef. Cook in a large pot on medium/high heat for around 5 minutes. Drain the grease and add back to the pot.1 pound ground beef
- Drain and rinse the cannellini and kidney beans, then add to the pot.15.8 ounce can cannellini beans, 15.8 ounce can dark red kidney beans
- Add the rest of the canned items, then add the tomato soup and one can of water.10.75 ounce can condensed tomato soup, 1 can water, 14.5 ounce can diced tomato, chili ready, 15 ounce can chili with beans, 15 ounce can chili no beans, 15.5 ounce can chili beans
- Put a lid on it and let simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with sharp cheddar cheese and crackers. Enjoy!
Originally published in June of 2017. Updated post in October of 2021 with new photos, and some slight adjustments made to the recipe (added different canned beans).
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 26, 2022 by [email protected]