Want a pizza with a unique sauce and topping combination? Enter this pickle and pancetta pizza. Take a thin crust and top it with a simple white sauce, loads of gooey mozzarella, crispy pancetta, and diced dill pickles. Pickles on pizza may sound odd, but trust me it works!
What new series should you start while eating this pizza recipe?
I, like 90% of the world, am watching The Last of Us. This show has serious potential but I am hesitant after being burned with how The Walking Dead slowly took a turn to where it became almost unwatchable. Fingers crossed because so far, so good!
What drink goes well with a slice of dill pickle pizza?
The drink: Vodka & Soda from High Noon
While I am typically a beer girl, I do occasionally like a cocktail. These High Noon canned cocktails have everything you need for a refreshing drink without having to have separate ingredients on hand.
The ingredients and why they work so well together
- Jiffy pizza crust. My FAVORITE pizza crust. Of course, you can use whatever pizza crust is your favorite.
- Crispy pancetta. Pancetta is a salt-cured pork belly that cooks up similarly to bacon.
- White pizza sauce. Simply made with butter, flour, milk, seasonings, and parmesan.
- Diced dill pickle slices. I like the more uniform, smaller pieces that the slices create when diced.
- Mozzarella cheese. Always a classic pizza topping.
- Dried dill and red pepper flakes. Sprinkled on top before baking for extra flavor.
How to make pickle and pancetta pizza step-by-step
Make the pizza crust according to the package directions. Spread the dough onto a parchment-lined pizza pan.
Pre-cook the pizza crust at 475 degrees for 5 minutes.
Add the pancetta to a cold medium-sized saute pan.
Turn to medium/high heat and sautee the pork belly, using a spoon to stir as it cooks and browns.
Once the pancetta has been cooked, remove it and add it to a paper towel-lined place.
In the same pan that the pancetta was cooked in, add the butter and let it melt over medium/high heat.
Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and use a whisk to stir it together to keep lumps out, stir until all of the flour is dissolved.
Pour in milk and add the seasonings. Bring to a light boil and continue stirring as it thickens.
Turn off the heat and add the parmesan cheese.
Take either sliced or spear pickles and dry them with a paper towel. Dice into pieces about the size of the pancetta.
Remove the pizza crust from the oven and top it with the white sauce, cheese, pancetta, and dill pickles.
Finally, sprinkle with red pepper flakes and dried dill over the top of the pizza.
Bake the pizza for 15 minutes. Cut into 8 slices.
Tips & Variations
- I pre-bake all of my pizza crusts for at least 5 minutes before adding toppings to keep the time down when I cook it with the toppings on and hoping to avoid burnt crust or cheese.
- Don’t like pancetta? This is really good with ham on top as well.
- Make your own easy homemade dill pickles with this recipe from Olga in the Kitchen.
More recipes with pickles
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Pickle and Pancetta Pizza
- medium sautee pan
- pizza pan
- parchment paper
- 1 box Jiffy pizza crust
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 5 ounces pancetta diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes more for topping
- 1/2 cup dill pickles dried and diced
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Prepare the pizza crust according to the package directions.1 box Jiffy pizza crust, 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- Spread the crust onto parchment paper on a pizza pan. Add to a preheated oven at 425 degrees and pre-bake for 5 minutes.
- Add the pancetta to a cold saute pan. Turn the heat up to medium/high and brown the pancetta on all sides, takes about 8 minutes.5 ounces pancetta
- Remove the cooked pancetta with a slotted spoon from the pan and add to a paper towel lined plate to drain off the grease.
- Leave around 1 teaspoon of grease in the pan. To that add the butter and let melt.2 tablespoons butter
- Whisk in the flour slowly whisking until it is all dissolved into the butter.2 tablespoons flour
- Pour in the milk and seasonings. Let thicken up for 2-3 minutes.1 cup milk, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Turn off the heat and add the parmesan. Stir until it has melted.1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- Take the crust out of the oven and top it with the white sauce, shredded mozzarella, cooked pancetta, and diced pickles. Sprinkle with dill and red pepper flakes.1/2 cup dill pickles, 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- Bake for 15 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- Pre-cooking the pizza crust means that you can cook it for less time once the toppings are on. I like to pre-cook almost all of my pizza crusts, especially thick crust styles.
- Make sure to dry the pickles off before dicing to avoid the top of the pizza getting any liquid on it and making it soggy.
- To store: add the pizza to a covered container. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 28, 2023 by [email protected]
Leave a Reply