Thick doughy crust sets the stage for sauce, Italian sausage, and gooey cheese. This Thick Crust Sausage Pizza is perfect for a fuss-free pizza night.
Got no plans this weekend? Long weekends call for being lazy and cooking some of my favorites like this Thick Crust Sausage Pizza made with Michigan’s Own Jiffy Mix Pizza Crust.
What is the best sausage for pizza?
Italian sausage is always the best sausage to use for topping pizza. I pick up the sausage recipe that is made by my local grocery store that has seasonings like fennel seed, oregano, and garlic. You can also find big-name brands like Johnsonville and Premio.
What movie pairs well with a slice of sausage pizza?
Up for this Mitten Movie Night is a movie that was actually a surprising gem we stumbled upon. Most people know Anne Hathaway as the Princess Diaries, and a million other rom-com’s, but she is also in this weird but interesting sci-fi/comedy, Colossal.
I will say if you look this up online it didn’t get really great ratings. I don’t think it lasted long in theaters, but if you’re looking for out-of-the-box thinking, dark and brooding comedy then you will be in for a treat.
What craft beer pairs well with easy thick crust pizza?
The beer: Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
If you love Bell’s beer, don’t forget that right now is the yearly release of Hopslam. My husband looks forward to it every year, and I know he is now alone. Now on to the pizza recipe!
This easy pizza recipe uses-
- Two boxes of Jiffy pizza crust mixed with warm water
- Prepare pizza sauce to save time
- Cooked Italian sausage
- Shredded mozzerella cheese
- A mix of garlic powder and Italian seasoning to spinkle over the top
How to make this recipe
To start the pizza, combine two boxes of Jiffy Pizza Crust with 1 cup of warm water in a bowl. Stir to combine until there are no clumps, then place a towel over the bowl and let rise 10 minutes.
While the crust rises, in a pan over medium-high heat, cook the sausage. Breaking it up as it cooks into small bite-size pieces.
Cook sausage completely through then set aside until the dough has risen.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and add parchment paper to a 9″x13″ baking sheet (make sure it has an edge to it).
Flour your hands a bit and take the dough out of the bowl. Form to the baking sheet. Push the dough all the way to the edge and then up the sides a bit.
Take prepared sauce and top crust with it pushing to all sides. Top off with the sausage. Then add the shredded cheese.
Something that I do and I think makes a delicious difference in the overall taste of this pizza is to sprinkle over the top of the cheese 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder then 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Do you have to cook sausage before using it on pizza?
Yes. To ensure that ground sausage is cooked thoroughly cook the sausage in a pan on the stovetop until no longer pink.
I can only find Italian sausage in links, can I use those for this pizza?
Yes, just remove the casing on the outside of each link and cook according to the directions above.
More sausage recipes
Cut into 12 pieces. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Thick Crust Sausage Pizza
- 9×13 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 2 6.5 ounce boxes Jiffy Pizza Crust Mix
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 15 ounces prepared pizza sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- To start the pizza, combine two boxes of Jiffy Pizza Crust with 1 cup of warm water in a bowl. Stir to combine until there are no clumps, then place a towel over the bowl and let rise 10 minutes.2 6.5 ounce boxes Jiffy Pizza Crust Mix, 1 cup warm water
- While the crust rises, in a pan over medium-high heat, cook the sausage. Breaking it up as it cooks into small bite-size pieces.1 pound Italian sausage
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and add parchment paper to a 9"x13" baking sheet (make sure it has an edge to it).
- Flour your hands a bit and take the dough out of the bowl. Form the dough to the baking sheet size. Push the dough all the way to the edge and then up the sides a bit.
- Take prepared sauce and top crust with it pushing to all sides. Top off with the sausage. Then add the shredded cheese.15 ounces prepared pizza sauce, 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Optional: Over the top of the cheese, sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder, then 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning.1/2 tablespoon garlic powder, 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Cook in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Cut into 12 pieces. Enjoy!
- Make sure that the sausage is cooked before adding it to the top of the pizza.
Originally published in January of 2018. Updated post in April of 2021 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on September 27, 2021 by [email protected]