My best BBQ sauce is so good drizzled on smoked meats or brushed on grilled ribs, this is going to become your favorite homemade sauce.
Are you a sauce connoisseur? My blog speaks for itself as to where I stand with sauce. Here in the Bottom Left of the Mitten, you can find me making slider sandwiches slathered in ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce or even two different sauces for my Wing Sauce Sliders.
A sauce that’s smothered, dipped, smeared, drizzled any which way–I LOVE IT!
Now on to this easy BBQ sauce recipe. I would be surprised if you don’t already have all the ingredients in your pantry to make it.
The key to making this barbecue sauce thick is the tomato paste and molasses. What makes it tangy and sweet is the brown sugar and apple cider vinegar.
This simple homemade BBQ sauce has-
- Liquid ingredients like soda, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and water. The soda adds sweetness and the apple cider vinegar adds a tanginess.
- Spices like onion and garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Simple pantry spices that most home cooks have on hand.
- Sweeteners like molasses and brown sugar.
How to make this BBQ sauce recipe step-by-step
Gather the ingredients for making the homemade barbecue sauce.
Add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Stir to break down the clumps of tomato paste.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low heat so that the sauce is at a low boil. Let it reduce by half, usually takes about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add to a jar or sealed container and enjoy for up to two weeks. See, I said it was easy!
Let the sauce cool and add to a covered glass container. Use within 1 week. This sauce can be used in any way you would use bottled barbecue sauce.
Recipes to use this easy homemade BBQ sauce on
And here you are…
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
The Best BBQ Sauce
- small saucepan
- small whisk
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup dark soda
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon worstershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Add all ingredients to a small saucepan. Stir to break down the clumps of tomato paste.6 ounces tomato paste, 1 cup dark soda, 1 teaspoon minced onion, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, 1/2 teaspoon worstershire sauce, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 tablespoons molasses, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup water
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low heat so that the sauce is at a low boil. Let it reduce by half, usually takes about 15-20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add to a jar or sealed container and enjoy for up to two weeks. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- To store: Let the sauce cool and add to a covered glass container. Use within 1 week. This sauce can be used in any way you would use bottled barbecue sauce.
Originally published in June of 2017. Updated post in July of 2021 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on May 29, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten