Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with a side of Pimento Grilled Cheese sandwiches is the ultimate soup & sandwich combination.
Let’s start off Mitten Movie Night with a meal combo that hits the spot no matter the weather, soup & grilled cheese.
What TV show pairs well with soup & sandwiches?
Mitten Movie Night was moved this week from Friday when it usually is to tonight. We saved it because it’s a big TV night at our house. It’s The Walking Dead season finale. Are you a fan? I found last season kind of bland but this season has certainly made up for it minus the first episode.
What beer pairs well with Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese?
The beer: Guinness Golden Ale.
Now enough about zombies and on to the food!
This soup is so easy! The thing that I love most about vegetable soups is that you can mix them up and then make them creamy with a little thing called an ‘immersion blender’. I recently used it to make an amazing Asparagus Soup for another Sunday Supper. I was trying to recreate a favorite of mine and it turned out perfect!
How to make Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup:
Start by preheating the oven to 350-degree oven.
Chop the tomatoes and then core and slice the red peppers.
Place the vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 Tbs oil.
Roast the vegetables for 40 minutes.
Once they are roasted add to a large stockpot with minced garlic, puree, chicken/vegetable stock, and sugar.
Set to low/medium heat and bring to a low boil for 10 minutes.
To finish off add some heavy whipped cream then use an immersion blender to cream the soup. *If you do not have an immersion blender, add 3-4 ladle fulls of soup into a blender then add back into the pan.
How to make Pimento Grilled Cheese:
Mix the mayo, cheese, and pimento in a bowl.
Slice and spread butter onto one side of the bread.
Add the pimento mixture onto the other side of the bread. Then top with the other slice of bread and butter.
Add the sandwich butter side down to a pan on medium/high heat. Cook as with any good grilled cheese-3 minutes, flip, then 3 more minutes until the middle is completely melted.
After your grilled cheese is nice and toasty and the soup is nice and toasty your ready to eat. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Thank you so much to this weeks host Rini from Healing Tomato. What a perfect fit for this Sunday Supper! Check out all the other delicious tomato recipes below:
Sunday Supper Recipes Using Fresh Tomatoes
- Caprese Chicken with Bacon by Family Around The Table
- Cheesy Caprese Pesto Chicken and Quinoa Casserole by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Easy Balsamic Chicken with Tomatoes by Life Tastes Good
- Grilled Chicken and Pasta with Grated Tomato Sauce by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Bronzed Tomato Spinach Cheddar Panini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ground Beef Curry by Wholistic Woman
- Lamb and Fresh Tomato Curry by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pan Pork Chop Dinner with Tomatoes by Simple and Savory
- Tuna and Tomato Bento by Ninja Baker
Pizza, Pies, and Pastas
- Angel Hair Pomodoro by Healing Tomato
- Heirloom Tomato Tart by Authentically Candace
- Pressure Canned Homegrown Tomato Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Savory Tomato Pie with Pre-Made Crust by The Foodie Affair
- Three Cheese Tomato Basil Pie by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Tomato and Caramelized Onions Galette by Brunch-n-Bites
- Tuscan Pasta with White Beans and Tomatoes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Bacon Caprese Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms by Crazed Mom
- Bloody Mary Mix by Our Good Life
- Bruschetta di Pomodoro by The Freshman Cook
- Caprese Garlic Bread with Arugula Pesto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Slow Roasted Tomatoes by Caroline’s Cooking
- Tomato Cauliflower Rice by Family Foodie
- Tomato Tulips for a Veggie Platter by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Thumbprint Cookies with Green Tomato Strawberry Jalapeno Jam by Soulfully Made
- How to Make Homemade Salsa by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- IPA (India Pale Ale) Green Tomato Pickles by Gourmet Everyday
- Italian Nachos by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Marinated Cherry Tomatoes with Cottage Cheese by Cricket’s Confections
- Tomatoes Stuffed with Apple-Walnut Salad Filling by Asian In America
- Tropical Fruit Salsa by Pies and Plots
Soups and Salads
- 10 Minute Greek Inspired Couscous Salad by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Burrata Caprese Salad with Balsamic Pearls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Tomato and Preserved Lemon Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Cupboard Tomato Mozzarella Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Fresh Tomato and Couscous Salad by Basic N Delicious
- Fried Green Tomato BLT Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Rustic Dill Tomato Soup by Hot Eats and Cool Reads
- Summer Tomato and Bread Soup by Monica’s Table
- Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup with Pimento Grilled Cheese
- immersion blender
Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- 1 small sweet onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 Tbs oil
- 28 ounces tomato puree
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 cup chicken/vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
Pimento Grilled Cheese
- 8 pieces bread
- 1-1/2 cup colby jack cheese
- 1 tsp chopped pimentos
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup
- Start by preheating the oven to 350-degree oven.
- Chop the tomatoes and then core and slice the red peppers.
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 Tbs oil..
- Roast the vegetables for 40 minutes.
- Once they are roasted add to a large stockpot with minced garlic, puree, chicken/vegetable stock, and sugar.
- Set to low/medium heat and bring to a low boil for 10 minutes.
- To finish off add some heavy whipped cream then use an immersion blender to cream the soup.
Pimento Grilled Cheese
- Mix the mayo, cheese, and pimento in a bowl.
- Slice and spread butter onto one side of the bread.
- Add the pimento mixture onto the other side of the bread. Then top with the other slice of bread and butter.
- Add the sandwich butter side down to a pan on medium/high heat. Cook as with any good grilled cheese-3 minutes, flip, then 3 more minutes until the middle is completely melted.
- If you do not have an immersion blender, add 3-4 ladle fulls of soup into a blender then add back into the pan.
Originally published in April of 2017. Updated photos & recipe November of 2020
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.