Gnocchi, sausage and spinach soup is a filling comfort food soup that is a great meal for the cooler weather.
When I first made this, I was originally going to make a pasta dish with most of these ingredients but adjusted it on the fly to make the ultimate ‘comfort food’ soup.
I’m glad I did because this gnocchi soup recipe has become something that I now make often. Little pillows of potato gnocchi, spinach, tomatoes, and spicy sausage swirl around in a delicious broth.
Top this with some homemade croutons and a sprinkle of Parmesan. The croutons give it a really good crunch.
This gnocchi soup has-
- Potato gnocchi
- Spinach, onion, tomato, and garlic
- Italian sausage
- A soup broth made of chicken bouillon, water, and thickened with butter and flour
- Parmesan cheese
How to make gnocchi, sausage, and spinach soup
Start by melting half of the butter in a large stockpot, adding the onions, and cooking until softened. Add garlic now—not before it will brown too fast and get bitter.
Add the sausage and cook until browned. Once the sausage is cooked I usually either drain this on a plate with a paper towel or drain it in a colander. I DO NOT drain out all of the oil, I leave a little bit in the bottom and add then put the spinach into the pot.
Now add the other half of the butter. Wilt the spinach. Chop up your tomato and add to the pot. Add the sausage back in.
To the sausage mixture sprinkle 1 Tbs of flour over it then stir to combine the flour. This is what thickens the stock.
Add the chicken stock now. I love using bouillon, so I heat up 1 cup of water and dissolve the cubes in that.
Then add the remaining water after that. Finally, put the gnocchi into the pot and set to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Serve it up and add croutons & additional Parmesan.
Tips & Variations
- I use chicken bullion mixed with water but you can use homemade or canned chicken broth.
- Swap out the Italian sausage for Italian-flavored ground turkey.
- You can make your own homemade potato gnocchi with this recipe from An Italian in my Kitchen
More soup recipes
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Gnocchi Sausage & Spinach Soup
- large stockpot
- 1 box potato gnocchi
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup parmesan plus additional for topping
- Start by melting half of the butter in a large stockpot, adding the onions, and cook until softened. Add garlic now—not before it will brown too fast and get bitter.1 box potato gnocchi, 1 small white onion, 3 cloves garlic
- Add the sausage and cook until browned. Once the sausage is cooked, drain but leave a small amount of oil. Add the spinach into the pot.1/2 pound Italian sausage, 12 ounces baby spinach
- Add the other half of my butter. Wilt the spinach. Chop up your tomato and add to the pot. Add your sausage back in.1 tablespoon butter, 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- To the sausage mixture, sprinkle 1 Tbs of flour over it and stir to combine the flour.1 tablespoon flour
- Add the water and chicken bouillon. Add the gnocchi to the pot and set to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.4 cups water, 3 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- Serve it up and add croutons & additional Parmesan. Enjoy!1/4 cup parmesan
Tips for making this recipe:
- I like to use water and chicken bouillon in place of chicken stock but you can substitute for 4 cups of chicken broth if you prefer.
- Make it spicy by using hot Italian sausage in this recipe.
- To store: add to a covered container and eat within 3 days. Heat in the microwave or on the stovetop in a stockpot.
Originally published in October of 2017. Updated photos & recipe October of 2020
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on July 11, 2022 by [email protected]
Such a fun Italian soup! I need to add gnocchi to my next soup—so yummy!
Yes, the gnocchi makes it so good!!