Gnocchi, sausage & spinach soup is a filling comfort food soup that is a great meal for the cooler weather.
When I first made this, I was originally going to make a pasta dish with most of these ingredients but adjusted it on the fly to make the ultimate ‘comfort food’ soup.
I’m glad I did because this gnocchi soup recipe has become something that I now make often. Little pillows of potato gnocchi, spinach, tomatoes, and spicy sausage swirl around in a delicious broth.
How to make Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup:
Start by melting half of the butter in a large stockpot, adding the onions, and cook until softened. Add garlic now—not before it will brown too fast and get bitter.
Add the sausage and cook until browned. Once the sausage is cooked I usually either drain this on a plate with a paper towel or drain it in a colander. I DO NOT drain out all of the oil, I leave a little bit in the bottom and add then put the spinach into the pot.
Now add the other half of the butter. Wilt the spinach. Chop up your tomato and add to the pot. Add the sausage back in.
To the sausage mixture sprinkle 1 Tbs of flour over it then stir to combine the flour. This is what thickens the stock.
Add the chicken stock now. I love using bouillon, so I heat up 1 cup of water and dissolve the cubes in that.
Then add the remaining water after that. Finally, put the gnocchi into the pot and set to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Serve it up and add croutons & additional Parmesan.
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Gnocchi Sausage & Spinach Soup
- 1 box potato gnocchi
- 12 ounces baby spinach
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1 Tbs butter divided
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tsp chicken bouillon
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup parmesan plus additional for topping
- Start by melting half of the butter in a large stockpot, adding the onions, and cook until softened. Add garlic now—not before it will brown too fast and get bitter.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned. Once the sausage is cooked, drain but leave a small amount of oil. Add the spinach into the pot.
- Add the other half of my butter. Wilt the spinach. Chop up your tomato and add to the pot. Add your sausage back in.
- To the sausage mixture, sprinkle 1 Tbs of flour over it and stir to combine the flour.
- Add the chicken stock. Add the gnocchi to the pot and set to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve it up and add croutons & additional Parmesan. Enjoy!
Originally published in October of 2017. Updated photos & recipe October of 2020
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Comfort Food Soup and Stew Recipes #SundaySupper
- “Make it Your Own” Soup Bar by The Freshman Cook
- Baked Potato Soup by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup by Our Good Life
- Chicken and Dumplings by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Pies and Plots
- Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Habitant Pea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup by Sunday Supper Movement
- Meatball and Orzo Soup by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Milchnudeln (German Milk Noodles) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Mushroom Fennel Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta Fagioli Soup by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili by Cricket’s Confections
- Crock Pot Chicken Posole by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Smoky Chicken-Potato Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard by Cooking Chat
Last Updated on July 20, 2021 by [email protected]