These air fryer ham and cheese sandwiches have layers of crunchy buttered French bread, sliced tomato and ham, mayonnaise, and melted shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
As I’ve said before, I LOVE making sandwiches in the air fryer. Think ham and cheese grilled sandwich with a crunch that will knock your socks off. Bonus, the clean-up is so easy.
What beer should you pair with air fryer ham and cheese sandwiches?
The beer: Hazy Little Thing IPA from Sierra Nevada
This Little Things series come in four different varieties and each one is really good. This one has Citra hops and a slight fruity flavor.
What to watch while you eat with air fryer sandwiches?
We’ve been spending some time watching the must-see shows that have been all over social media. I recommend The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window and Pieces of Her on Netflix. You can breeze through both in no time at all.
This air fryer grilled ham and cheese has-
- Four slices of French bread, enough for two sandwiches
- Soft butter for spreading on the top of the bread to make it crunchy
- Sliced Roma tomato
- Black forest ham
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to make air fryer ham and cheese step-by-step
Start by slicing the French bread into 4 slices, then slice the Roma tomato into 6 slices, 3 per sandwich.
Spread the butter onto one side of bread and place face down in the air fryer basket.
Repeat with the next slice.
Make sure that the butter is soft so that it doesn’t tear the bread when spreading it on.
Next, spread on the mayonnaise and sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
Add the sliced tomatoes, pile on the ham, and add the rest of the shredded cheese.
Spread more mayonnaise on the top piece of bread and place it on the sandwich.
Finally, spread with the rest of the butter on the top piece.
Set the air fryer to 350 degrees and ‘fry’ for 5 minutes.
Use a spatula and flip each sandwich. Return to the air fryer and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Tips & Variations
- No air fryer? No problem. Follow the same instructions for cooking the sandwich but add the sandwich to a medium sautee pan and cook over medium heat.
- Add more flavor to the sandwich by sprinkling the buttered tops with garlic powder.
- Serve with a side fries, chips, or a veggie salad like this Broccoli Salad from Sugar Spun Run.
More sandwich recipes
Cut each sandwich in half, share if you want. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Air Fryer Ham and Cheese
- air fryer
- 4 slices French bread
- 2 teaspoons butter halved
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise halved
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar halved
- 1 Roma tomato sliced
- 4 ounces Black forest ham
- Slice 4 pieces of French bread.4 slices French bread
- Cut the Roma tomato into 6 slices.1 Roma tomato
- Spread half of the butter onto two pieces of the bread. Place face down in the basket of an air fryer.2 teaspoons butter
- Take half of the mayo and spread it on each slice of bread.1/4 cup mayonnaise
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the sliced bread.1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Layer the sliced tomato and ham.4 ounces Black forest ham
- Add the other half of the shredded cheese over the top of the ham.
- Slather the mayo on the bread, add it to the top of the sandwich. Repeat with the other sandwich.
- Add the rest of the butter to the two slices of bread.
- Put the basket into the air fryer and set it to 350 degrees. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the basket and use a spatula to flip both sandwiches.
- Place the basket back into the air fryer and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove, cut each sandwich in half and serve. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- Make sure to use a spatula and hot pad when removing the basket and flipping the sandwiches.
- If you don’t like your bread super crunchy, you can reduce the first cook by 2 minutes.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 13, 2022 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten