This is a simple and comforting easy black bean soup recipe paired with crispy mushroom quesadillas for dipping. It’s a quick stovetop lunch or dinner that is perfect for warming you up.
What should you serve with black bean soup? How about a quick quesadilla with sauteed mushrooms, onions, and melted cheese.
- When the cold weather sets in, what should I binge-watch?
- What beer should you pair with an easy black bean soup and quesadilla?
- How to make easy black bean soup step-by-step
- How to make this mushroom quesadilla recipe step-by-step
- More soup recipes
- Easy Black Bean Soup with Mushroom Quesadillas
When the cold weather sets in, what should I binge-watch?
Dexter: New Blood. I remember binging this show when I was home with my youngest when he was a newborn, so I was looking forward to a little nostalgia. It’s been just as good as the original and it’s set in a cold winter town. Serious bundle up and get cozy watching.
What beer should you pair with an easy black bean soup and quesadilla?
The beer: Amber Ale by Dark Horse Brewing.
I loved this smooth-drinking amber ale. It was the perfect pairing with the meatiness of the mushrooms and the spices in the soup.
This black bean soup with canned beans and cheesy quesadillas has-
- Canned black beans. Rinse a couple of cans of black beans for the easiest way to make this recipe in no time.
- Beef broth and seasonings like cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Simple chili-inspired seasonings.
- Soft flour tortillas. After being spread with butter, these tortillas crisp up nicely.
- Mushrooms and onions cooked in butter. This combination makes a simple vegetable filling.
- Shredded Swiss cheese. This cheese melts perfectly inside the quesadillas.
- Melted butter for brushing the tortillas to make them crispy. I mean, what doesn’t get better when spread with butter and toasted?
How to make easy black bean soup step-by-step
The seasoning for this bean soup is so simple, just cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder.
If you prefer to make this a black bean soup from dried beans, follow these great steps for how to cook black beans like a pro from The Spruce Eats.
To a medium-sized pot, add the beef broth, seasonings, and strained and cleaned black beans.
Cover with a lid and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.
To make this soup really creamy, puree the black beans and stock with an immersion blender.
How to make this mushroom quesadilla recipe step-by-step
In a medium saute pan, add the butter with the sliced mushrooms and onions.
Cook over medium/high heat for 5-8 minutes until the mushrooms have softened and the onions have browned.
Remove the mixture and add to a bowl. Take a piece of paper towel and clean out the pan.
Brush the pan with some melted butter and add two tortillas in the pan with half of the tortilla in the pan and half over the side.
Sprinkle each one with Swiss cheese.
Take the mushroom mixture and add half on one tortilla, then the other half on the other tortilla.
Top with the rest of the cheese.
Fold over the top part of the tortilla, press down, then brush with the melted butter.
Cook for 5 minutes over medium/high heat.
Flip, and cook for 3 minutes more until the cheese had melted.
Can I make this soup without an immersion blender?
Yes. Scoop out about a cup of soup and add it to a blender. Blend for 30 seconds and then add it back into the pot.
Add the soup and quesadilla leftovers to separate covered containers. Eat within 3 days. Reheat the soup on the stovetop in a pan and reheat the quesadillas in a saute pan over medium heat until heated through.
It is not recommended to freeze this recipe. Shelf-stable canned beans can be brought when on sale and kept in the pantry for up to 6 months.
More soup recipes
And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Easy Black Bean Soup with Mushroom Quesadillas
- medium stockpot
- large sautee pan
- immersion blender
Easy Black Bean Soup
- 2 15-ounce black beans strained and rinsed
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter 1 tablespoon, melted
- 2 burrito style tortillas
Easy Black Bean Soup
- Open and strain the black beans.2 15-ounce black beans
- Add the broth, seasonings, and beans to a pot.2 cups beef broth, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to mix the soup to your desired creaminess.
- Dice the onions.1 small onion
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a medium pan, then add the mushrooms and onions. Cook for 5-8 minutes.2 tablespoon butter, 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- Remove the mushroom mixture and put it in a bowl.
- Clean out the pan then spread some melted butter on the bottom. Add two tortillas to the pan (half in and half out over the side).2 burrito style tortillas
- Layer each tortilla with half the shredded cheese, the mushrooms, then more cheese.1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- Close the other half of the tortilla over the top and brush with butter.2 tablespoon butter
- Cook over medium/high heat for 5 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Split the soup into two bowls and serve each soup with a quesadilla. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can ladle a cup of the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Add back into the pot.
- I like to use melted butter to brush the pan and the top of the quesadilla, but you can use olive oil too.
- Don’t turn the heat on to the pan for the quesadilla until you’ve built it.
- To store: add the soup and quesadillas to separate covered containers. Eat within 3 days. Reheat the soup in the microwave or stovetop. Reheat the quesadillas in the microwave, in a pan on the stove, or in the air fryer.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on July 17, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten