These Scotch Egg Sliders make a great appetizer or dinner. Sausage-wrapped eggs make the perfect filling for soft slider buns then top whole grain mustard.
I was first introduced to the scotch eggs at a party. Someone brought them as a dish to pass and luckily I got to try one and I was blown away at how delicious they were. So then, like most good food, I set out to make it at home.
I thought why not take the basics of what is in a Scotch egg, hard-boiled eggs and pork sausage, and then coat it into panko breadcrumbs for the cruchy coating. Then I baked the sausage patties and slapped them on slider buns. Boom! They turned out great.
What beer pairs well with Scotch Egg Sliders?
The beer: Two Hearted from Bell’s Brewery.
Of course, I am a Bell’s girl and who wouldn’t be with their wide variety of beers to choose from. But one that is the mainstay in our home is Two Hearted.
What TV show pairs well with slider sandwiches and craft beer?
Then we are binge-watching the last few episodes of Ozark. Have you seen this show? I cannot believe that it took us so long to finally get into it. I’ve heard several people rave about it and I’ll tell you, the reviews are spot on because it’s amazing. I will say that Jason Bateman plays the perfect ‘man who has decided to not give a sh!$ anymore’ character.
These slider with these sausage and egg sliders have-
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Ground pork sausage
- Flour, egg, and panko breadcrumbs for coating
- Butter slider buns
- Whole grain mustard
How to make Scotch egg sliders step-by-step
To start with let’s 4 hard-boiled eggs. I boil them for around 14 minutes then add them to some ice water for another 15 minutes before peeling the shells.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the eggs enough so you have 8 thick slices. Save the ends for another recipe, like potato salad.
Flatten the meat out in the palm of your hand. Spread the sausage out so it’s larger than the palm.
Place a piece of the egg in the center of the sausage.
Roll the edges over the egg to form a patty. Close any seems. Repeat with the rest of the patties.
Coat the patties in flour.
In a bowl whisk the egg with a small amount of water. Dip each side with the egg wash.
Then roll the patty in the panko breadcrumbs.
Place onto the baking sheet. Cook for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Most Scotch egg recipes that I noticed were served with a mustard dipping sauce, so I spread the buns with whole grain mustard.
Assemble the scotch egg sliders: bun, scotch egg patty, then the mustard. Simple and delicious.
Tips & Variations
- Make sure that the yolk is completley cooked in the center of the egg otherwise you will not be able to place it in the center of the patty. Cooking time of 14 minutes is usually optimal.
- I use ground pork sausage for this recipe but you could use ground turkey sausage as well.
- Make your own homemade slider buns wit this recipe from JoCooks.
More slider sandwich recipes
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Scotch Egg Sliders
- 9×13 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 4 eggs hard boiled
- 16 ounces ground sausage
- 8 slider buns
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ground mustard for serving
- Add water to a pan. Place the eggs gently in the bottom. Cook over medium-high heat for 14 minutes.4 eggs
- Place the eggs in a bowl of cool water with ice. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Remove the shells of each of the eggs and discard them.
- Slice the egg into 8 thick slices.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Cut the sausage into 8 slices.16 ounces ground sausage
- Flatten each slice out to a little larger than the palm of the hand.
- Place a slice of egg in the center of the sausage patty.
- Fold the edges of the sausage over the top of the slice of egg. Make sure that there are no seams showing. Continue with the other 7 sausage patties.
- Add the flour to one plate and the panko to another plate. Whisk egg and a small amount of water in a bowl.1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1 egg
- Dip the sausage patty in the flour, then the egg wash, then the panko.
- Place onto the baking sheet. Cook for 35 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Assemble the sliders: bun, scotch egg patty then top with mustard. Enjoy!8 slider buns, ground mustard for serving
Tips for making this recipe:
- I cook the eggs for 14 minutes in boiling water. Take the eggs out of the water and add them to a bowl of cold water with ice. Let sit for 15 minutes before peeling the shells off.
- To store: add to a covered container. Heat the sausage patty in the air fryer or add the sandwiches to a plate with a damp paper towel and microwave for 45 seconds.
Originally published in Septemberer of 2017. Updated post in June of 2022 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on June 26, 2022 by [email protected]