When I’m feeling like ‘comfort food’ without the fuss, these fried pork chops are the meal I turn to. It’s quick and tasty and the cracker breading is crunchy and satisfying.
I have to say that pork is easily one of my favorite meats to cook and eat. Crockpot, stovetop, braised, baked, chops, roast…..so many ways to cook it! What’s not to love?
These are made without flour or bread crumbs like some pork chop recipes. I coat them just like my mom did when I was growing up, with crushed saltine crackers.
These fried cracker coated pork chops have-
- Thinly sliced pork chops
- Eggs whisked together with salt, pepper, and thyme
- Crushed saltine crackers
- Vegetable oil for frying
How to make fried pork chops step-by-step
Set the eggs and pork chops on the counter about 10 minutes before making this meal. Using cold ingredients can stop the coating from staying on the pork chop as it cooks.
Take a sleeve of crackers and crush them. If you are careful enough you can do this right in the plastic sleeve and not even dirty a dish or waste a plastic Ziploc bag.
Add the crackers to a plate.
Beat 2 eggs together with the seasonings.
Coat the chop in the egg on both sides.
Coat in the crackers on both sides. Press down as needed to make them stick.
Heat 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in the bottom of a pan. Turn to medium/high heat and let come to heat for about 1 minute.
Carefully lay the pork chops in the pan 3-4 at a time. Let fry for 3 minutes.
Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
Tips & Variations
- I use thinly sliced pork chops for easier cooking. Choosing pork chops that are too thick can lead to the outside cooking faster and burning before the inside is done. This is the best way to fry them and ensure they are cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Leave the eggs and pork chops out for about 10 minutes before cooking.
- To keep them crispy when reheating these pork chops add them to the oven at 350-degrees for 5 minutes or in the air fryer for 3 minutes.
- What to serve with pork chops? These go great with mashed potatoes and homemade cream corn. Make your own with this recipe from Chef Savvy.
- Smother pork chops in onions and mushroom gravy for an even heartier meal.
More recipes using pork
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Fried Pork Chops
- 1 shallow bowl
- 1 large dinner plate
- large frying pan
- 6 thinly sliced pork chops
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 sleeve saltine crackers
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Take a sleeve of crackers and crush them. Add them to a plate.1 sleeve saltine crackers
- Add 2 eggs and the seasonings to a shallow bowl. Beat until combined.2 eggs, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- Heat 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in the bottom of a pan. Set to medium/high heat.1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Place pork chop in egg, coat on both sides.6 thinly sliced pork chops
- Press both sides of the pork chop into the crushed crackers.
- Add pork chop to oil and fry for 3 minutes.
- Flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Check the temperature to make sure they are cooked to the correct temperature.
- Place them on a plate if you need to work them in batches. Serve immediately.
Tips for making this recipe:
- Take the eggs and pork chops out of the refrigerator and set them on the counter for about 10 minutes before cooking. Adding cold eggs and meat to a hot frying pan will make the coating not stick well to the pork chops.
- Make sure that the temperature is, between 145-155 degrees in the thickest part before serving.
- To store: add to a plate and loosely cover with plastic wrap. See Tips & Variations above on how to reheat.
Originally published in February of 2017. Updated post in April of 2022 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on May 23, 2022 by [email protected]