These chili cheese fries are slathered with a beefy bean chili sauce and melted sharp cheddar cheese.
I got the inspiration for these loaded fries after making this DELICIOUS wet burrito recipe. The sauce made with a combination of red enchilada sauce and no-bean chili was exactly like the topping on the fries at a restaurant my husband and I like to go to.
So for this Mitten Movie Night, I thought I would make my own home version of those fries with a few tweaks to the sauce (aka use chili WITH beans), and guess what? They turned out so close to the original that now I have a great appetizer or full meal that I can enjoy anytime at home.
What beer goes well with loaded chili cheese fries?
The beer: Dirty Blonde from Atwater
Blondes go so well with every dish, especially my favorite Dirty Blonde. A light burst of orange and a bit of coriander makes this a subtle fruity beer. The perfect beer to sit back and enjoy with these smothered French fries.
Need a movie to watch while eating chili cheese fries?
Wonder what scary things happen on movie sets? Pick up Cursed Films, it documents the myths & legends behind movies like Poltergeist and The Exorcist.
This recipe for homemade chili cheese fries has-
- Frozen French fries cooked in the air fryer until super crispy
- A beef chili made with ground beef, red enchilada sauce, chili with beans, and spices
- Block sharp cheddar cheese that has been hand-grated for a better melt
- Diced green onions
How to make chili cheese fries step-by-step
First, start by making the frozen fries according to the package directions. I find that using my air fryer is the best way to make crispy French fries. Air fry at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375-degrees.
In a large-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Drain the grease from the pan.
Sprinkle the ground beef with the seasonings, then add the can of enchilada sauce and can of chili with beans. Heat through for 2-3 minutes.
On a large baking sheet add a sheet of parchment paper.
Spread the fries over the pan into a unified layer.
Using a large pan makes sure that everything is spread evenly and the toppings get spread out on all the fries, not just on top of a heap.
Spoon the chili mixture over the top of the fries. Finish by topping with chopped green onions and grated cheese over the chili.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes to melt the cheese on top.
Tips & Variations
- I use straight-cut frozen French fries for this, but they would also go great with shoestring or crinkle cut.
- Make sure to drain any grease from the ground beef once it has cooked before adding the seasoning and sauce ingredients.
- Make your own homemade enchilada sauce with this recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod.
More chili recipes
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Chili Cheese Fries
- air fryer, optional for making French fries
- large sheet pan
- parchment paper
- 32 ounces frozen french fries cooked to package directions
- 1 pound ground beef I use 80/20
- 10 ounces red enchilada sauce
- 15 ounces chili with beans
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese I use block cheese that I hand grate
- 2 stalks green onions chopped
- Make the frozen fries according to package directions. *See notes on how I made mine in the air fryer.32 ounces frozen french fries
- Preheat the oven to 375-degrees.
- In a large-sized sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Remove the meat from the pan and drain the grease.1 pound ground beef
- Add the spices to the meat then add the can of enchilada sauce and can of chili with beans. Heat everything through for 2-3 minutes.10 ounces red enchilada sauce, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika, 15 ounces chili with beans
- On a large baking sheet, add a sheet of parchment paper.
- Spread the fries over the pan into a unified layer.
- Spoon the chili mixture over the top of the fries. Finish by sprinkling cheese and green onions on the top.2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, 2 stalks green onions
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes to melt all the cheese on top. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- I find that using my air fryer is the best way to make crispy French fries. Air fry at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Using a large pan makes sure that everything is spread evenly and the toppings get spread out on all the fries, not just on top of a heap.
Originally published in November of 2020. Updated photos April of 2022 with new photos and a slight reduction in the sauce ingredients in the chili.
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on June 30, 2022 by [email protected]