Upgrade game day with these walking chili cheese tacos. Packaged chips make the perfect plate for chili, cheese, meat, and toppings. These walking tacos are a great idea for tailgates or parties.
During football season we usually spend mornings at my son’s games and then the afternoons back at home watching the big games. Now I don’t watch but I do get my ‘Game On’ making food that I know my boys will love to snack on while they watch. They love the classics: burgers, wings, and tacos. This week I’m making walking chili cheese tacos.
The great thing about these walking chili cheese tacos is that you can hit the store and grab a variety of chips for the base. Then load it up with ground beef, chili beans with cheese, and lots of toppings.
These walking tacos with chili cheese have-
- Ground beef and seasonings. I keep it simple with the seasoning using what I have in my spice cupboard, but you can use package taco seasoning as well.
- Chili mixed with cheese. I use canned chili for this, but this is a great way to use up leftover homemade chili too.
- Bags of chips like Doritos (nacho and cool ranch) and Fritos (regular and chili cheese). Single-serve bags make the perfect ‘fill and go’ serving plate.
- Toppings to add on top like lettuce, tomato, sour cream, and guacamole.
Did you know that you can make your own cool ranch Doritos at home? Try this recipe from The Cookie Rookie.
How to make walking chili cheese tacos step-by-step
Start with browning the beef in a skillet over medium heat. To the meat add cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Cook until completely browned, then drain the excess fat from the pan.
Add the meat to a bowl, then you are ready for the chili cheese sauce.
In a bowl add one can of chili with beans and 1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese. Place a paper towel or two over the top of the bowl then microwave for 3 minutes. Stir to combine, and that is it for the chili cheese.
For the bags, cut a vertical slit down the middle, then a slit horizontally to the top and bottom. Then opened it up.
Right on top of the chips, add the chili cheese and then the meat.
Tips for serving tacos in a bag
- Set out your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, tomato, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, diced red onion, and some more cheese of course.
- Go ahead and set this taco bar style so that everyone can make their own and add what they like.
- Making these walking tacos for a party? Double the beef recipe and the bean recipe and keep warm in slow cookers.
Add the ground beef and chili cheese to separate covered containers and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the microwave and add to leftover package chips.
More taco night recipes
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Walking Chili Cheese Tacos
- 3/4 pound ground hamburger
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 1.8 ounce bag of chips, any style you like
- 15 ounce can chili with beans
- 3/4 cup colby jack cheese 1/2 cup for chili cheese sauce then the rest for topping tacos
- onion, lettuce and tomato for topping
- Start with browning the beef. To the meat add cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Cook until completely browned then drain the excess fat from the pan. Add to a bowl for serving.3/4 pound ground hamburger, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- In a bowl, add one can of chili with beans, and 1/2 cup Colby Jack cheese. Place a paper towel or two over the top of the bowl, then microwave for 3 minutes. Stir to combine.15 ounce can chili with beans, 3/4 cup colby jack cheese
- For the bags, cut a vertical slit down the middle, then a slit horizontally to the top and bottom. Then opened it up.6 1.8 ounce bag of chips, any style you like
- Right on the top, add the chili cheese and then the meat.
- Chop up some lettuce, tomatoes, onions into small pieces. Set out some sour cream or guacamole and some more cheese.onion, lettuce and tomato for topping
- Set this up bar style so that everyone can make their own and add what they like. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- Making these for a crowd? Double the beef and bean recipes and keep warm in separate slow cookers.
- To store: add the ground beef and chili cheese in separate covered containers. Reheat in the microwave. Eat within 3 days.
Originally published in September of 2017. Updated post in October of 2021 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on April 25, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten