One of my family’s favorite meals is this easy chicken and dumplings. It is made in less than 30 minutes with shredded chicken, vegetables, chicken stock, and topped with simple dumplings made with biscuit mix.
Once you make these tasty chicken and dumplings they are going to quickly become a favorite dinnertime recipe, just like they are here at my home. How can you go wrong with these simple ingredients?
You can make the dumpling recipe with Bisquick mix, but I always turn to my tried and true favorite, Jiffy buttermilk biscuit mix. The result of dropping the dough on top of the boiling liquid results in the fluffiest dumplings possible.
This chicken dumplings recipe has-
- Two boxes of Jiffy biscuit mix with herbs and milk
- Shredded cooked chicken
- Diced carrots and celery
- Chicken stock
How to make easy chicken and dumplings step-by-step
Clean the carrots and celery, then dice the vegetables.
Shred the cooked chicken.
In a large dutch oven, add the butter and let it melt.
Add the vegetables and stir around.
Pour in the chicken stock and add the shredded chicken.
Quickly shred chicken by using your mixer! Check out this tutorial from Eating on a Dime.
Let the chicken and vegetables simmer in the broth for 10 minutes to soften the vegetables.
Time to make the herbed biscuits. In a bowl, add the two boxes of Jiffy biscuit mix with the seasonings.
Stir in the milk and mix everything together to make the dough.
Bring the pot to a rolling boil. Using two spoons, drop in spoonfuls of biscuits on the top of the liquid.
Keep the pot at a roiling boil for another 10 minutes.
If you notice the biscuits aren’t cooking on top, you can gently push them down under the broth using a large spoon.
This is the consistency you want. The dumplings cooked completely through.
This is a perfect & easy weeknight dinner that your kids will love, trust me!
More family friendly recipes
And here you are…….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Easy Chicken and Dumplings
- large dutch oven
- wooden spoon
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 6 carrots chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 stalks celery chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 2 boxes Jiffy Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Clean and chop the carrots and celery.6 carrots, 6 stalks celery
- Add butter to a large stockpot. Melt the butter, then add the vegetables.1 tablespoon butter
- Pour in the chicken stock. Then add the cooked and shredded chicken.6 cups chicken stock, 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- Let the stock simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, add the two boxes of Jiffy mix and the seasonings. Add the milk and stir everything together well.2 boxes Jiffy Buttermilk Biscuit Mix, 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1 cup milk
- Bring the pot to a rolling boil then drop the biscuit mix in one spoonful at a time on top of the broth and vegetables. Drop all the way around filling up the top of the pot.
- Keep the pot at a roiling boil for another 10 minutes.
- Check the center of the dumplings to make sure they have cooked through.
- Serve & enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- I like to make my chicken in the Instant Pot to use in recipes like this.
- Make sure to bring the liquid to a full boil before dropping in the biscuits to make sure that they are at a good temperature to cook them.
- If you notice the biscuits aren’t cooking on top, you can gently push them down under the broth using a large spoon.
- To store: add to a covered container and eat within 3 days. Reheat in the microwave OR you can add the leftovers and 1/4 cup water to a pan and heat on the stovetop.
Originally published in July of 2016. Updated post in January of 2022 with new photos, same great recipe.
Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on July 22, 2022 by [email protected]