My 9 yr old’s will readily say that his favorite meal is “Pierogies.” This casserole was born from the fact that I was really getting tired of the same pierogi with butter while it is good it really needed some jazzing up. The first time I made this for him within the first few bites he was in heaven and thus the Cheesy Pierogi Casserole’ became a keeper in this house.
Getting creative with some of my families favorites is so much fun for me. Yes, I am boring and you know I’m okay with that! I wanted a unique dessert so I came up with this Chocolate Bottom Strawberry Cheesecake. How could I make my husbands favorite appetizer a little different? Boom Wing Sauce Sliders! Thankfully my family is up to the task of trying out the end results.
While I have attempted the homemade version of pierogies, honestly the time & effort were not nearly as good as the boxed version. I was kind of sad about this because I usually say that homemade anything is better than boxed. What I did was make the same roux I use for Macaroni & Cheese and add ham. It really takes an average side and makes a meal out of it. Not only is this delicious, it’s quick to make.
Cook the pierogi according to package directions. This typically takes 8-10 minutes in boiling water to cook all the way through once cooked, add them to a strainer while the roux is made.
Now it’s time to make the ham & cheese mixture or ‘roux’ if you prefer. Gather the ingredients…..
Using the same pan start melting 4 Tbs. butter. Add the diced ham. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add 2 Tbs. flour & pepper to the mixture and stir then add 1 cup milk and half the package of cheese to the sauce and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Once the sauce is thickened combine the cooked Pierogies with the ham & cheese sauce.
Add to a 8×11 greased serving dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. All this cheesy goodness is a perfect quick weeknight meal the whole family will love. I served this with a bagged Fresh Express Bacon Caesar Salad & roasted Brussel spouts to round the meal out. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Cheesy Pierogi Casserole
- 2 boxes Mrs. T's Classic Pierogies Cooked according to package directions
- 8 ounces diced ham
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese halved
- 4 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- black pepper to taste
- Cook the Pierogies according to package directions. It typically is 8-10 minutes in boiling water. Once they are done drain in strainer.
- Using the same pan start melting 4 Tbs. butter. Add the diced ham. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add 2 Tbs. flour & pepper to the mixture and stir. Add 1 cup milk. Add half the package of cheese to the sauce. Cook for about 3-4 minutes or until thickened.
- Combine the cooked Pierogies with the ham & cheese sauce.
- Add to a 8x11 greased serving dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Last Updated on April 20, 2020 by [email protected]