This air fryer veggie sandwich with pesto mayonnaise is the perfect simple lunch or dinner recipe. Layered with thinly sliced tomato, cucumbers, and onion this is a great simple lunch or dinner recipe.
Making sandwiches in the air fryer gives you a really good combination of melted cheese like a grilled cheese, but a crusty outside like on a panini. In my opinion, it’s the best of both worlds.
What beer pairs well with this recipe?
The beer: Tropical Oberon from Bell’s
This tropical and delightful version of Oberon is the perfect way to welcome warmer weather. Both versions, this and the original, are like little sips of sunshine. This version has passionfruit, guava, and mango. It’s the perfect sweet pairing with this simple veg sandwich.
What should you watch?
Now that the weather is FINALLY getting nice, it’s time to get outside and enjoy some fresh air while enjoying a good book. I’m starting Insomnia by Sarah Pinborough. I loved the Netflix adaptation of her book Behind Her Eyes so I am excited about this new release.
This vegetable sandwich recipe has-
- Sourdough bread, I get this from the bakery section of my local grocery store
- Thinly sliced tomato, cucumbers, and white onions
- Shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Mayonnaise mixed with prepared pesto
- Dried basil
How to make this air fryer veggie sandwich step-by-step
Start by mixing the mayonnaise and prepared pesto together. Set aside.
Remove the air fryer basket and build the sandwich in that. Start with buttering one side of the bread and place it butter side down.
Spread on the pesto mayonnaise then add half of the shredded Colby jack cheese.
The veggies I use for this sandwich are tomatoes, cucumbers, and onion. Thinly slice the vegetables so that the sandwich doesn’t become too bulky.
Layer each of the vegetables onto the bread. Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
Add more of the mayonnaise to the top piece of bread.
The last step I do is add more of the softened butter to the top and sprinkle with dried basil.
Place the basket in the air fryer at set the temperature to 350 degrees and cook for 5 minutes.
With a spatula, carefully flip the sandwich and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Cut in half and eat immediately.
Tips & Variations
- Oven-roasted turkey is a good addition to this if you want to add meat.
- Swap out the mayonnaise for hummus.
- Make your own sourdough bread with this recipe from The Recipe Critic.
More air fryer sandwich recipes
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Air Fryer Veggie Sandwich
- air fryer
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- 1/2 medium cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 medium beefsteak tomato thinly sliced
- 1/2 small white onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby jack cheese halved
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise and prepared pesto. Stir to combine.2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- Slice the tomato, cucumber, and onions into thin slices.1/2 medium cucumber, 1 medium beefsteak tomato, 1/2 small white onion
- Smear one side of a piece of sourdough bread with softened butter.2 pieces sourdough bread, 2 tablespoons butter
- Place face down in the bottom of an air fryer basket.
- Use a knife to spread on half of the pesto mayonnaise mixture.
- Sprinkle on half of the shredded cheese.1/2 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- Layer the tomato, onion, and cucumber.
- Add the rest of the cheese to the top of the vegetables.
- Slather on the rest of the pesto mayonnaise to the last piece of bread. Place mayo sauce side down on top.
- Use the rest of the butter on the top of the slice of bread. Sprinkle with dried basil.2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Cook in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Use a spatula to flip the sandwich. (See notes)
- Return the basket and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove, cut in half and eat immediatley. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- The sides of the air fryer basket will be very hot so use a spatula and try to avoid touching them when flipping the sandwich. Use a fork to anchor the bottom of the other side to help if it’s difficult.
- Thinly slice the vegetables. Cutting them too thick will result in a sandwich that is hard to flip in the air fryer basket and also the vegetables will need longer to cook in the sandwich.
- Make one sandwich at a time. The ingredients can last up to 3 days so it’s a great sandwich to have for lunch throughout the week.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on June 4, 2022 by [email protected]