Want crispy potatoes but don’t want to deal with lots of oil and a messy stovetop? Making these crispy air fryer potatoes in the air fryer leaves a little mess, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t big on flavor. I promise you, these are the best air fryer potatoes you’ve ever had.
I love air fryer recipes. Is there anything that the air fryer can’t do? I use it to make everything from sandwiches to snacks, so this appliance gets a workout here in my kitchen. So for this Mitten Movie
Look how crispy these are! So why wouldn’t I call these Crispy Air Fryer Potato Chips? They sure look like chips. I didn’t call them ‘potato chips’ because I want to keep this recipe open for interpretation.
What beer pairs well with fried potatoes?
The beer: Lagunitas India Pale Ale.
Whether you pair these homemade air fryer chips with hot dogs, burgers, or sandwiches this India Pale Ale will go with them all.
What should I read while eating air fryer potatoes and drinking an IPA?
I have been reading like crazy this summer. On Twitter, Stephen King recommended this book and said he could not put it down. Guess what? Neither could I! I read Necessary People by Anna Pitoniak in ONE DAY.
Want more book recommendations to follow my Book Reviews stories on IG.
These sliced potatoes in the air fryer have-
- Thinly sliced potatoes. Russet potatoes work the best.
- Olive oil. Helps the seasonings stick to the potato and helps with adding crispiness without having to use spray olive oil.
- Spices. Garlic powder and parsley for seasoning.
How to cook crispy potatoes in the air fryer step-by-step
First, clean the potatoes. Slice them thinly using a knife or vegetable slicer.
The next step is very important. In a bowl add cool water and place the sliced potatoes into it. Let them sit in the water for 30 minutes.
Why do you want to soak potato slices in
This gets the potato starch from the potatoes and keeps them from getting soggy and sticking together. You want maximum crispiness so make sure to do this step.
After the potatoes have been soaked, drain the water, then using a paper towel dry off the potatoes.
To the uncooked potatoes, add olive oil and seasonings. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly.
Place the potatoes into the basket of the air fryer. Set the air fryer to 380 degrees and set it for 25 minutes. Push ‘start.
Check the potatoes after 10 minutes and using a small set of tongs, flip the potatoes around. Slide the basket back in then perform the same action every 5 minutes for another 15 minutes.
How do you make chips really crispy in the air fryer?
Make sure that you soak the potatoes AND dry them with a paper towel before adding the oil.
How long should you soak potato slices before cooking them in the air fryer?
At a minimum, soak for 10 minutes. I find the best amount is 30 minutes.
Add leftovers to a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. It is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
What to eat with these homemade air fryer potato chips
Remove from the air fryer and serve as desired. I’ve had them served before with a Duck Sauce and it was unexpectedly good. And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
- air fryer
- small tongs
- 3 medium russet potatoes cleaned then sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaf
- Clean the potatoes. Slice them thinly using a knife or vegetable slicer.3 medium russet potatoes
- In a bowl, add cool water and place the sliced potatoes into it. Let them sit in the water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water then,using a paper towel, dry off the potatoes.
- To the uncooked potatoes, add olive oil and seasonings. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly.1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes, 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaf
- Place the potatoes into the basket of the air fryer. Set the air fryer to 380 degrees and set for 25 minutes. Push 'start'.
- Check the potatoes after 10 minutes and using a small tongs, flip the potatoes around. Slide the basket back in then perform the same action every 5 minutes for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer and serve as desired. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- If you don't have time to soak the potatoes, you may end up having to add additional minutes to the cooking time to get them browned correctly.
- Make sure that you flip the potatoes every 5 minutes so that they cook evenly.
- To store: add to a covered container and refrigerate. To reheat add back to the air fryer and cook for 5 minutes.
Originally published in July 2019. Updated post in November of 2021 with new photos, the same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 19, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten