Chicken and mushroom subs use pre-cooked chicken to make this an easy dinner option.
Not looking to spend a lot of time on dinner? Then I have the perfect meal for this Mitten Movie Night. This sub sandwich uses pre-cooked chicken and sliced mushrooms baked in the oven, then covered in melted cheese. Scoop the filling into a steamed bun and slather with a mayo-based sauce, and dinner is served.
What beer pairs well with chicken and mushroom subs?
The beer: Lager of the Lakes from Bell’s Brewery.
This beer has easily become one of my favorites. The nice thing about this chicken sandwich is that it pairs so well with either big-flavor beers or with light and crisp ones, like this pilsner. For me, the perfect meal is a great beer and a sandwich.
What movies pair well with beer and sandwiches?
Tonight we are watching Super Troopers! We had a date night last weekend and watched Super Troopers 2 so naturally, we have to go back and re-watch the original.
This sandwich is a great use of cooked chicken. If you have a rotisserie chicken on hand, shred it up. Did you cook some chicken in the crock-pot and have some leftovers? Whichever way you choose to cook your chicken breast, shred it then add it to the pan.
This chicken sub sandwich has-
- Cooked and shredded chicken. I used leftover rotisserie chicken for this recipe, but you can use grilled, baked, or boiled chicken breasts or thighs as well.
- Sliced mushrooms. I like to use white sliced mushrooms.
- Soft, steamed sandwich buns. See the tip below for how to steam them.
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese.
- A dressing made with mayonnaise and Ceasar dressing.
Visit YouTube for a video of how to make these
Chicken and Mushroom Subs
How to make chicken and mushroom sub sandwiches step-by-step
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and grease a sheet pan.
Shred or chop the cooked chicken. Add the chicken to the prepared sheet pan.
On top of that add the sliced mushrooms. Pop into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes take the pan out of the oven, using tongs stir the chicken mixture. Add the cheese, then put the pan back into the oven for another 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.
For the buns, I decided that I wanted them to be steamed and not toasted. I tried a little trick to steam buns in the microwave that I found online, and it worked really well! Just leave them in the plastic bag, (of course, remove the bag tie first which could have metal on it), then microwave for 30 seconds. Viola! Freshly steamed buns.
For the sauce, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 2 Tbs Caesar dressing. This adds a creamy layer of flavor to the sandwich.
Slice the steamed buns down the center then, add the sauce to each side. Remove the chicken from the oven, then use the tongs to pile the center of the bun with the chicken and mushrooms.
Tips & Variations
- If you don’t have shredded chicken breast, this works great with sliced deli-sliced chicken too.
- For the sauce, swap out ranch dressing for the Ceasar.
- Make your own hoagie rolls with this recipe from Handmade Farmhouse.
Store the chicken and mushrooms and sauce in separate covered containers and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer.
It is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
More sandwich recipes
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Chicken and Mushroom Subs
- sheet pan
Chicken and Mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 4 sub sandwich buns steamed
- 1-1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Caesar dressing
Chicken and Mushroom Subs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a sheet pan. Shred or chop the cooked chicken. Add the chicken with the mushrooms to the prepared sheet pan and place it in the oven for 10 minutes.2 cups cooked chicken, 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- After 10 minutes take the pan out of the oven, using tongs stir the chicken mixture. Add the cheese, then put the pan back into the oven for another 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.1-1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- To steam the buns, leave them in the plastic bag (remove the bag tie first which could have metal on it) then microwave for 30 seconds.4 sub sandwich buns
- Slice the steamed buns down the center then add the sauce to each side. Remove the chicken from the oven, then use the tongs to pile the center of the bun with the chicken and mushrooms.
- Combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons Caesar dressing.1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons Caesar dressing
Tips for making this recipe:
- This sandwich is a great use of cooked chicken. If you have a rotisserie chicken on hand, shred it up. Did you cook some chicken in the crock-pot and have some leftovers? Whichever way you choose to cook your chicken breast, shred it then add it to the pan.
- To store: Place the chicken and mushrooms in a covered container. Place the buns back into the refrigerator. Add any leftover sauce to a covered container. Assemble sandwiches with reheated meat, buns, and sauce.
Originally published in May of 2018. Updated photos & recipe February 2021.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on May 9, 2023 by [email protected]
Leave a Reply