Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup #SundaySupper
I first made this Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup recipe as something quick to take my best friend who was sick in the hospital. I was originally going to make a pasta dish with most of these ingredients but adjusted it on the fly to make the ultimate ‘comfort food’ soup to take to her so she could skip the hospital food. I’m glad I did because it has become something that I now make, a lot.
Top this with some homemade croutons and a sprinkle of Parmesan. The croutons give it really good crunch. Now on to the soup!
Start by melting half of the butter in a large stockpot, adding the onions and cook until softened. Add garlic now—not before it will brown to fast and get bitter.
Now add your sausage and cook until browned. Once the sausage is cooked I usually either drain this on a plate with a paper towel or drain in colander. I DO NOT drain out all of the oil, I leave a little bit in the bottom and add then put the spinach into the pot. I now also add the other half of my butter. Wilt the spinach. Chop up your tomato and add to the pot. Add your sausage back in.
To the sausage mixture sprinkle 1 Tbs of flour over it then stir to combine the flour. This is what thickens the stock.
Add the chicken stock now. I love using bouillon so I heat up 1 cup of water and dissolve the cubes in that. Then add the remaining water after that. Finally put the gnocchi into the pot and set to cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
Serve it up and add croutons & additional Parmesan. And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Originally published March, 2016. Updated photos & recipe.
Thank you to this weeks Sunday Supper host! Check out all the other recipes that will keep your soup pot boiling all Winter long.
Comfort Food Soup and Stew Recipes #SundaySupper
- “Make it Your Own” Soup Bar by The Freshman Cook
- Baked Potato Soup by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cabbage and Kielbasa Soup by Our Good Life
- Chicken and Dumplings by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup by Pies and Plots
- Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Habitant Pea Soup by What Smells So Good?
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup by Sunday Supper Movement
- Meatball and Orzo Soup by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Milchnudeln (German Milk Noodles) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Mushroom Fennel Soup by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta Fagioli Soup by Soulfully Made
- Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili by Cricket’s Confections
- Crock Pot Chicken Posole by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Smoky Chicken-Potato Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spicy Lentil Soup with Swiss Chard by Cooking Chat
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.