Street corn taquitos have a creamy and spicy filling then fries so the outside is super crispy. They make a great appetizer or dinner!
These chicken taquitos start with shredded chicken, cream cheese, and a Mexican street corn recipe made with canned corn. Roll the filling up in corn tortillas and fry to golden brown perfection.
What beer pairs well with street corn taquitos?
The beer: Oberon from Bell’s Brewery.
Tonight, I am pairing this dish with this warm weather, wheat beer favorite. This pairs perfectly with the crispy tortillas, the bursts of sweet corn in the filling, and the creaminess of the mayo.
What movie pairs well with street corn themed appetizers?
For this Mitten Movie Night, we are watching a classic from the ’80s that always freaked me out, Night of the Comet. I’m a HUGE fan of apocalyptic movies, old and new, so I thought revisiting a movie I was obsessed with when I was younger was in order.
These easy chicken taquitos use-
- Corn tortillas
- Shredded chicken
- Cream cheese
- Street corn made with canned sweet corn, sour cream, mayonnaise, lime, spices, and cilantro
- Shredded Mexican style cheese
- Oil for frying
- Mashed avocado for dipping taquitos
What is an easy way to shred cooked chicken?
To shred the chicken for this recipe, I wanted to try something that I saw on Pinterest. And guess what? It WORKED! Use a KitchenAid mixer to shred the chicken. I cut the cooked breast in half, put it into the mixing bowl, and turned it on high. Less than 3 minutes later I had beautifully shredded chicken without the work. Genius!
How to make this taquitos recipe step-by-step
Cook the chicken breast then shred it to make small pieces, then add the chicken to a bowl.
To the same bowl, add the rest of the ingredients for the filling: mayo, cream cheese, sour cream, lime juice, corn, cilantro, cheese, and spices. Stir to combine.
Place 3 tortillas on a microwave-safe plate. Take a sheet of paper towel that has been moistened with water and place it over the top. Microwave for 30 seconds.
Microwaving the corn tortillas makes them easier to work with. Make sure to only work with 3 tortillas at a time or else they will dry out and break.
Add enough oil to the bottom of the pan that it will fry these up around 1/2 cup.
While the oil heats up, start assembling the taquitos. Place the filling along the longest end, not too much that it spills out. Roll it up.
Once the oil is heated up place the tortilla in seam side down. Fry for 2 minutes, then flip.
Fry for another 2 minutes then place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Work on 3 taquitos at a time, so this will take about 4 batches.
Tips & Variations
- It’s important to make these in batches. Don’t overcrowd the pan when frying these or they won’t fry and crisp up properly.
- You can use canned chicken, like Swansons Premium Chunk Chicken, in this recipe. It saves the step of cooking and shredding the chicken before.
- Looking for something other than guacample to dip these taquitos into? Try this tomatillo sauce from Chili Pepper Madness.
More shredded chicken recipes
Serve with mashed avocado, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and lettuce.
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Street Corn Taquitos
- small sautee pan
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 medium chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon jalapenos chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican style cheese
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- oil for frying
- Cook the chicken breast, then shred it to make small pieces then add the chicken to a bowl.1 medium chicken breast
- To a bowl with the chicken in it add the rest of the ingredients for the filling: mayo, cream cheese, sour cream, lime juice, corn, cilantro, cheese, and spices. Stir to combine.3 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 tablespoons cream cheese, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 tablespoon jalapenos, 1 tablespoon cilantro, 1/2 cup Mexican style cheese, 1 cup sweet corn, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place 3 tortillas on a microwave-safe plate. Take a sheet of paper towel that has been moistened with water and place it over the top. Microwave for 30 seconds.12 corn tortillas
- Add enough oil to the bottom of the pan that it will fry these up around 1/2 cup.oil for frying
- Place the filling along the longest end, not too much that it spills out. Roll it up.
- Once the oil is heated up, place the tortilla in seam side down. Fry for 2 minutes, then flip. Fry for another 2 minutes then place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Work on 3 taquitos at a time, so this will take about 4 batches.
- Serve with guacamole, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and lettuce. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- When steaming the corn tortillas, do only do 3 tortillas at a time. This makes the corn tortillas pliable. Only do 3 tortillas at a time or else they will dry out and break.
- When frying, don’t overcrowd or they won’t fry properly.
Originally published in August of 2017. Updated post in April of 2021 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 25, 2022 by [email protected]