These easy chicken burritos have a simple shredded chicken filling rolled up into flour tortillas. Top with cheese then bake. It’s the perfect meal for busy weeknights!
Does life have you running around like crazy? Trying to be 10 places at once leaves little time for your family to actually sit down for dinner together, let alone spend time in the kitchen making dinner. Let these shredded chicken burritos come to your dinnertime rescue.
The beauty behind this dinner is using already cooked chicken. I am a big fan of making shredded chicken in the Instant Pot then using it in recipes like this. Try this Instant Pot Chicken Breast recipe from iFoodreal for tips & tricks.
These salsa chicken burritos have-
- Burrito size flour tortillas
- Cooked and shredded chicken
- Thick and chunky salsa
- Shredded colby jack cheese, I like to use block cheese that I shred on a grater
How to make easy chicken burritos
Start these easy chicken burritos by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and greasing a 9×13 pan.
To the bottom of the pan add about 1/4 cup of the thick and chunky salsa to the bottom.
Shred the cooked chicken into a bowl, then add the rest of the salsa to it and stir to combine.
Add the chicken mixture to a flour tortilla one at a time, then roll up and place seam side down in the pan.
Roll up and repeat with the remaining 5 tortillas.
If there is any of the mixture remaining, spread over the tops of the tortillas.
Finally, sprinkle with the shredded cheese on top.
Bake uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is all melted on top.
- Add black beans to the chicken filling for chicken and black bean burritos
- Make these into spicy chicken burritos by using hot salsa and topping with jalapenos
- Add 1/2 cup of cream cheese to the chicken and salsa to make creamy chicken burritos
More easy chicken recipes
Shred some lettuce, chop up tomatoes, and any other toppings you like. And here you are…
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Easy Chicken Burritos
- 9×13 baking dish
- 6 flour tortillas, burrito size
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 16 ounces thick and chunky salsa
- 8 ounces shredded colby jack cheese
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees and greasing a 9×13 pan.
- To the bottom of the pan, add about 1/4 cup of thick and chunky salsa to the bottom.16 ounces thick and chunky salsa
- Add the shredded cooked chicken to a bowl, then add the rest of the salsa to it and stir to combine.16 ounces thick and chunky salsa, 2 cups cooked chicken
- Add the chicken mixture to a flour tortilla one at a time then roll up and place seam side down in the pan. Roll up and repeat with the remaining 5 tortillas.6 flour tortillas, burrito size
- If you have any chicken left over after filling, spread it on the top of the tortillas.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.8 ounces shredded colby jack cheese
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is all melted on top.
- Shred some lettuce, chop up tomatoes, and any other toppings you like. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- For this recipe, I use mild salsa but feel free to use whatever salsa your family likes best.
- I feel like block cheese that has been hand-grated gives a better melt to this recipe, but feel free to use bagged shredded cheese.
- If you don’t have burrito-sized tortillas, smaller ones can be used but you will use-2-3 more tortillas.
Originally published in May of 2018. Updated photos January of 2022 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on August 15, 2022 by [email protected]