A smoker is a great way to have amazing barbecue right at home. This marinade for smoking meat is easy and leaves whatever meat you are smoking so tender and tasty!
A few years ago I got my husband a smoker for Christmas. It ended up being a great purchase because we use it a lot! Weekends are spent slowly smoking pork or beef for a great dinner and then we have plenty of leftovers to get us through the rest of the weekend.
This marinade is one that I’ve been using since we got the smoker. A great marinade is a key to tender meat, so don’t miss this step.
This marinade for the smoker has-
- Dark cola
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dark molasses
- Spices like kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper
- Ice to cool down the hot liquid
How to make the smoker marinade step-by-step
To a pan add the cola, spices, apple cider vinegar, water, then the molasses.
Over medium-high heat cook for 5 minutes, stirring as it cooks.
Turn off the ice. Let the marinade cool.
In a dish add the meat then pour the marinade over it. This recipe marinates up to 6 pounds of meat.
Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 12 hours, flipping the meat about halfway through.
Smoke meat as you like.
What ways are best to use this smoker marinade in the smoker?
- Low and slow – My husband made this pork roast below by just letting it go low and slow over 9 hours. It fell apart and had some amazing burnt ends on it.
- Texas Crutch – This involves smoking the meat for a time than wrapping it with foil. Check out this great article about it here.
What should you serve with smoked meats?
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
The BEST Marinade for Smoking Meat
- medium saucepan
- 9×13 baking dish
- plastic wrap
- 16.9 ounces cola or any dark soda, try to stay away from diet
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 2 cups ice
- To a pan add the cola, spices, apple cider vinegar, water, then the molasses.16.9 ounces cola, 1 cup water, 1/4 cup coarse kosher salt, 2 tablespoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup dark molasses
- Over medium-high heat cook for 5 minutes, stirring as it cooks.
- Turn off the heat and add the ice. Let the marinade cool.2 cups ice
- In a dish, add the meat then pour the marinade over it.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 12 hours, flipping the meat about halfway through.
- Smoke meat as you like. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- If you do not prefer to use ice cubes, add 1 cup of cold water to the pan.
Originally published in November of 2018. Updated post in April of 2022 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on February 14, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten