A creamy homemade cheese sauce coats noodles and makes the perfect bed for pulled pork. Drizzle this Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese with BBQ sauce then top with spicy jalapenos and pickled red onions.
Welcome to the first Mitten Movie Night of Spring! We are ready to settle in and start enjoying the warmer weather. Today I am sharing a recipe that is inspired by a wonderful meal that we had while on our Spring Break trip to Florida, pulled pork mac and cheese.
A little more on the backstory of where this recipe originated from. This year was the first year that we actually ventured out of Michigan for Spring Break. The Winter has been long and we were all in need of some serious Sunshine. So we headed down to a place that I grew up going to as a kid – Venice, Florida. Right on the Gulf of Mexico we couldn’t have asked for a better place to get away from it all….well expect for the traffic with everyone else having the same idea…but I digress and do not want to complain because this was easily one of my favorite vacations we’ve ever had. I mean look at this picture of the boys heading down to the beach. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.
While we were in Florida we visited my friend and her family who hosted us for Easter. Visited the Clearwater Marine Aquarium to see Winter & Hope. Then enjoyed lots of time at the pool, the beach and eating really good food. On the suggestion of one of the residents at the condo we headed over to Darrell’s BBQ. It was a treat because anyone with kids and driving 24 hours to get to a location knows it means lots of fast food and we were ready for a sit-down meal. The husband had the pulled pork platter, Big A had a burger and Little A and I shared a big bowl of pulled pork mac and cheese with piles of pork and sweet BBQ sauce. It was so good and one that I kept note of so I could make it as soon as we got home.
What beer pairs well with Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese?
The beer: Hopsoulution Double IPA from Bell’s.
Even though most of this post talks about Florida, I am a Michigan girl and happy to be home because we do have some of the best craft beer in the country. Wouldn’t you know we came back just in time for the release of Hopsoulution Double IPA.
How to make Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese:
Let’s start with the pulled pork. For this pulled pork mac and cheese recipe, I made the pork in the slow cooker. You can easily smoke the meat if you like but I ran short on time and really didn’t feel like pulling out the smoker so the slow cooker worked just as good.
Mix the beef broth and seasonings in the bottom of the crockpot and add the pork. Set for 6-8 hours on low and the pork is ready to be taken out and pulled.
About 20 minutes before the pork is ready to come out start the macaroni and cheese. Boil the pasta according to package directions. Once it is done remove from the pan, drain and set aside in another bowl.
To the pot you cooked the pasta add the butter and over medium heat melt the butter. Once it has melted stir the flour into the butter until it is slightly smooth (you may see some lumps) then add the milk. Stir until combines and you have a nice sauce appearance.
Now add the nutmeg, pepper, garlic powder then finally add the 3 different kinds of cheese. Make sure you stir the whole time. See how awesome this sauce comes out. The ‘pull’ of the cheese. Thick enough to coat all the noodles. Another word for it is ‘cheesetastic’.
Add the noodles to the pot and stir to get all the sauce all over the noodles. Now set out a plate and add the mac and cheese.
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
- 1 1/2-2 pounds boneless pork loin
- 2 cups beef broth I use beef broth base
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp Spanish paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Mac and Cheese
- 3 cups dry pasta (I used rotini) cooked to package directions
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1-1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded colby jack cheese
- To a slow cooker add beef broth, onion powder, minced garlic and seasonings then set for 6-8 hours on low and the pork is ready to be taken out and pulled.
Mac and Cheese
- Boil the pasta according to package directions. Once it is done remove from the pan, drain and set aside in another bowl.
- To the pot you cooked the pasta add the butter and over medium heat melt the butter. Once it has melted stir the flour into the butter until it is slightly smooth (you may see some lumps) then add the milk. Stir until combines and you have a nice sauce appearance.
- Add the nutmeg, pepper, garlic powder then finally add the 3 different cheese. Make sure you stir the whole time.
- Add the noodles to the pot and stir to get all the sauce all over the noodles.
- To plate: Add the mac and cheese. Heap some pulled pork on there. Drizzle with BBQ sauce. Finish off with pickled red onions and jalapenos. Enjoy!
Last Updated on September 6, 2021 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten