When the warm weather hits, fried zucchini is an easy side dish that’s the perfect compliment for Spring and Summer meals.
While I have been making a lot of ‘fried’ recipes in my air fryer, I make this pan-fried zucchini just like my mom used to. With LOTS of butter!
Okay, I did pair down on the butter just a bit and used olive oil in its place, but the taste transports me back to being a kid and family picnics with my mom whipping up a big batch of zucchini that someone would bring straight from their garden.
After breading and frying the zucchini, it’s important to also sprinkle generously with salt. The only other thing that I do differently is to add a side of ranch to dip them in like how you usually see fried zucchini served in restaurants.
- Zucchini that has been sliced into coins
- Plain breadcrumbs with seasonings and parmesan cheese added for the breading
- Both butter and olive oil, this is what makes this the BEST fried zucchini recipe in my opinion
How to make this simple fried zucchini step-by-step
Start by making the breading for the zucchini. Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse to combine everything and chop up the Parmesan into smaller pieces.
Add the breadcrumb mixture to a shallow bowl.
Chop the zucchini into about 1/4 inch pieces.
In another bowl, whisk the egg and water together.
In a pan (I use cast iron) heat up 1 Tbs olive oil and 1 Tbs butter. Heat up the pan at medium/high heat until the butter has melted.
Dip the zucchini slices into the egg. Then dip into the breadcrumbs on both sides.
Add the breaded zucchini to the pan and let fry for 2 minutes. Flip the zucchini and cook another 2 minutes on the other side.
Remove the zucchini and place them on a plate covered with a paper towel.
Tips & Variations
- Want to make zucchini sticks? After slicing the zucchini into sticks instead of slices, follow the same breading and frying directions. Flip the sticks cooking on all sides for 2 minutes each.
- Don’t have breadcrumbs? You can use flour to make fried zucchini in place of the breadcrumbs, and trade out for a 1:1 ratio.
- Want a good dipping sauce for this zucchini recipe? Serve with a side of homemade ranch like this one from The Salty Marshmallow
What should you serve zucchini with?
Sprinkle with salt before servings with a side of ranch for dipping. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
- frying pan I use a cast iron pan
- 2 medium zucchini sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlc powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus additional for topping
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing for serving
- Start by making the breading for the zucchini. Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to a food processor. Pulse to combine everything and chop up the Parmesan into smaller pieces.1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup shredded parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon garlc powder, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the breadcrumb mixture to a shallow bowl.
- Chop the zucchini into about 1/4 inch pieces.2 medium zucchini
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and water together.1 egg, 1 teaspoon water
- In a pan (I use cast iron) heat up 1 Tbs olive oil and 1 Tbs butter. Heat up the pan at medium/high heat until the butter has melted.1 Tbs butter, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Dip the zucchini slices into the egg. Then dip into the breadcrumbs on both sides.
- Add the breaded zucchini to the pan and let fry for 2 minutes. Flip the zucchini and cook another 2 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the zucchini and place them on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt before servings with a side of ranch for dipping. Enjoy!1/4 cup ranch dressing
Tips for making this recipe:
- I make this zucchini without flour in the breading but if you don’t have breadcrumbs available you can swap them out for flour or panko breadcrumbs.
- To store: add to a covered container and eat within 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or air fryer.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on July 25, 2022 by [email protected]
Ooh, I love the sound of this recipe. I tend to just fry slices straight in olive oil, but this sounds far more adventurous and delicious. Serving them with a dip sounds like a lovely idea too. I might just have to give this a go.
I hope you like them!
I love fried zucchinis especially this time of year. I always make fried zucchini for my family and they love it. I see you added Italian seasoning. I must give your recipe a try.
Thank you, Natalie!
This is such a great idea, wow, these zucchinis would make the perfect snack. I do agree with you, a dip goes absolutely superb with these. Great as a BBQ side too. Will definitely make them.
Yes, they are the perfect side for BBQ dishes.