This cherry limeade pretzel pie has a citrus filling and a crisp, salty pie crust. It’s a great no-bake dessert perfect for taking to summer cookouts.
This is a take on a recipe that my Mother-In-Law makes. She calls it ‘Margarita Pie‘. When I asked where she got it from she said a friend who she worked with made it. So where the original recipe comes from I can’t quite say, but it’s delicious and I’m sure a classic in many households by now.
I will never forget her making this for me and bringing it over right after we brought our now teenager home from the hospital. It was just the pick-me-up I needed to get through the long nights with a newborn.
When she came over with the recipe, she also brought a can of sweetened condensed milk so I had everything for this pie BUT the orange juice. I looked in my refrigerator and I had Cherry Limeade, so it only made sense to make a few minor changes and Viola! This new version of the ‘Margarita Pie’ that I know and love was created and it’s just as good as the original.
Where do you get cherry limeade?
Cherry limeade can be found at the grocery store pre-made next to the orange juice. A popular brand would be Minute Maid. It can also be found in concentrate in the freezer section next to other concentrated drinks. If you use to concentrate, follow the directions on the can to make.
This cherry limeade no-bake pie has-
- A crust made with crushed pretzels then mixed with sugar and melted butter
- Filling made with cherry limeade, sweet condensed milk, lemon, and lime juice, and whipped topping
How to make this cherry limeade pretzel pie step-by-step
First, crush up some pretzels. Half of a 16-ounce bag crushed roughly equals the 1-1/4 cup you need for the recipe. Add pretzels to a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush the pieces. I like big pieces but you may prefer them with a finer texture.
Melt 1/2 cup butter then add the pretzels, sugar, and melted butter to a greased pie plate.
Mix it all together and form the crust on the bottom and around the sides of the pie plate.
In a separate bowl, you are going to combine everything BUT your whipped topping. Using a handheld or stand mixer, combined the ingredients.
How is whipped topping different than whipped cream?
Usually, when you think of whipped cream you think of spraying the can of Cool Whip onto the pie, or directly in your mouth. What is used in this pie though is ‘whipped topping’. The stability of the whipped topping is what is needed to thicken this pie up. Here is a great blog post about the difference between the two. Find whipped topping in the freezer section, usually next to frozen pre-made pies and bread dough.
Using a spoon or spatula fold in the whipped topping.
Pour the pie filling into the prepared pretzel crust.
Refrigerate until chilled, which takes a good 4-6 hours. Before serving, zest lime over the top and add a cherry for presentation.
Tips & Variations
- If you don’t like pretzel crust, you can swap it out for a pre-made graham cracker crust.
- I like larger pieces of pretzel but you can use a food processor instead of doing it by hand.
Want more easy summertime desserts?
- Chocolate Bottom Strawberry Cheesecake
- Piña Colada Upside Down Cake
- Raspberry Cheesecake with Pound Cake Crust
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Cherry Limeade Pretzel Pie
- pie plate
- Rolling Pin or other heavy object to crush the pretzels
- 1-1/4 cup pretzels crushed
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
Cherry Limeade Filling
- 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1 juice of lime (or 1 tbs lime juice)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Cherry Limeade
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- Take half of a 16-ounce bag crushed roughly equals the 1-1/4 cup you need for the recipe. Add pretzels to a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush the pieces.1-1/4 cup pretzels
- Melt 1/2 cup butter, then add the pretzels, sugar, and melted butter to a greased pie plate.1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup sugar
- Mix it all together and form the crust on the bottom and around the sides of the pie plate.
Cherry Limeade Filling
- In a separate bowl, you are going to combine everything BUT your whipped topping. Using a handheld or stand mixer, combined the ingredients.14 ounce sweetened condensed milk, 1 juice of lime, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup Cherry Limeade
- Using a spoon or spatula fold in the whipped topping.8 ounces frozen whipped topping
- Pour the pie filling into the prepared pretzel crust.
- Refrigerate until chilled, which takes a good 4-6 hours.
- Before serving, zest lime over the top and add a cherry for presentation. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- If you want finer pieces of pretzel, you can mix the pretzel crust ingredients in a food processor.
- Whipped topping can be found in your grocer’s freezer next to the frozen desserts.
- To store: You can leave this dessert uncovered in the refrigerator. Eat within 3 days.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on June 12, 2022 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten