Did you know that Tuesday was National Pretzel Day ? When I saw this I knew that I had to make & share one of my favorite desserts. It has a sweet citrusy center and a crisp, salty crust made of…you guessed it ~ Pretzels! It’s Cherry Limeade Pretzel Pie.
This is actually a take on a recipe that my Mother-In-Law makes. When I asked where she got it from she said a friend who she worked with made it. So where the original recipe comes from I can’t quit say but it’s delicious and I’m sure a classic in many households by now. I will never forget her making this for me and bringing it over right after we brought our now 9 yr. old home from the hospital. It was just the pick me up I needed to get through the long nights with a newborn.
My Mother-In-Law calls it ‘Margarita Pie’. Here is her hand written recipe card if you prefer to stick to her original version.
For me I changed up the recipe to what it finally became which is Cherry Limeade Pretzel Pie. When she came over with the recipe she brought me a can of sweetened condensed milk so I was literally had everything for this pie BUT the orange juice. I looked in my refrigerator and I had Cherry Limeade so it only made sense to make a few minor changes and Viola! This new version of the ‘Margarita Pie’ that I know and love was created and it was just as good as the original.
So on to the recipe. Gather your ingredients.
First, crush up some pretzels. I took about 1/2 a bag of my 2 yr. olds beloved Meijer Alphabet pretzels (Shhhh, don’t tell him!) and rolled them with a rolling pin to crush them. Roll to desired consistency. I like big pieces but you may prefer them as a finer texture.
Melt 1/2 cup butter while crushing the pretzels. When done add them to your greased pie plate with 1/4 cup sugar.
Mix it all together and form the crust on the bottom and around the sides of the pie plate.
In separate bowl you are going to combine everything BUT your whipped topping. Once combined you will then fold in your whipped topping.
Spoon it into your crust.
Refrigerate until chilled which takes a good 4-6 hours. A perfect no-bake treat for any occasion. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cup pretzels, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
Cherry Limeade Filling
- 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1 juice of lime (or 1 tbs lime juice)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Cherry Limeade
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Crush pretzels to make 1 1/4 cup crushed pretzels.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter while crushing the pretzels.
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to greased pie plate. Add crushed pretzels and meted butter to plate with sugar.
- Mix it all together and form the crust on the bottom and around the sides of the pie plate.
Cherry Limeade Filling
- In separate bowl you are going to combine everything BUT your whipped topping. Stir to combine.
- Once combined you will then fold in your whipped topping.
- Spoon combined filling into pretzel pie crust.
- Refrigerate until chilled for 4-6 hours.