This seltzer mojito will become your summertime go-to cocktail. With generous amounts of lime and mint, it’s not too sweet which is perfect for warm-weather sipping.
I had never actually had a mojito until I visited my friend in Florida last year. While I really liked them, when I came home to recreate it-I felt they were way too sweet and had too much sugar.
So after planting mint in a little patio garden for the sole purpose of making my own mojitos, I set out to make a refreshing cocktail that would be perfect for the warmer weather and wouldn’t have me overloaded on sugar.
Tips for making cocktails with sugar-free alternatives
While I use Splenda (or sucralose) on a daily basis, there are many other ways to make a low-calorie/low-sugar cocktail without it. Try some of the alternatives mentioned in this article or even try a sugar-free simple syrup like this one from Gastronom.
Within the last few months, I’ve almost totally wiped out my pop/soda consumption by solving my need for carbonation with the occasional flavored seltzer. So it was easy to see how swapping the original club soda for the seltzer with lime would be really good-fizzy with additional lime flavor built right in.
Then the only other change that I made was to swap out the typical 2 Tablespoons of sugar (yes, 2!) for just 1 tsp of Splenda.
This easy sparkling cocktail has-
- Mint gently pressed with zero-calorie sweetener and lime juice.
- Lime-flavored seltzer. Popular brands of seltzer are Polar, LaCroix, topo Chico, and Waterloo.
- White rum.
How to make a seltzer mojito step-by-step
Clean then rip the mint leaves and place in the bottom of a glass.
Add Splenda and juice from the lime over the top of the mint leaves.
Muddle the ingredients with the end of a wooden spoon or muddler if you have one.
Add the lime slice back into the glass, and add rum, seltzer, and ice to the top of the glass.
Tips & Variations
- If you don’t have a muddler like me, you can use the end of a wooden spoon to press down and crush the mint with the juice and sugar.
- I like to use Splenda for this but feel free to monk fruit or Stevia.
Want more cocktails for summer?
Pop in a straw, head out to the pool and here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
- cocktail glass
- spoon or muddler
- 2 mint leaves ripped
- 1 teaspoon Splenda or other prefered sweetener
- 1 slice of lime
- 1 12-ounce can lime seltzer I used Polar Seltzer
- 1 ounce white rum
- Clean then rip the mint leaves and place in the bottom of a glass.
- Add Splenda and juice from the lime over the top of the mint leaves.
- Muddle the ingredients with the end of a wooden spoon or muddler.
- Add the lime slice back into glass, add rum, seltzer and ice to top of glass.
Tips for making this recipe:
- To cut down on sugar you can also use sugar-free simple syrups, sugar-free cocktail syrups, Stevia, or coconut sugars. Feel free to play around with these alternatives and adjust sweetness to your specific tastes.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on June 25, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten