What better way to enjoy summer than sitting back and relaxing with a refreshing cocktail? This Bull’s Eye Beer Cocktail is made with Michigan in mind using Vernor’s Ginger Ale and Michigan craft beer.
Man, has it been hot here in Michigan!?! Sheesh, with what equates to tropical humidity and almost 100-degree temps I’ve been spending a lot of time hiding out in the air conditioning. While it’s been nice I have to admit that it’s not conducive to a nice tan and getting much personal use out of our pool. So what better way to enjoy the refreshing pool than make a cocktail to float in the pool with?
Since I blog mainly about beer and food pairings, but I’ve been dreaming about fruity strawberry daiquiris or margaritas, I decided the best of both worlds would be to start playing with some beer cocktails!
Now, I do not prefer an overly fruity drink or what my brother-in-law calls ‘purse drinks’ but something light is right up my alley. After doing some research I came across this article in Marie Claire, 15 Super Simple Beer Cocktails to Cool You Down this Summer. All of them looked great but I was intrigued by the Bull’s Eye beer cocktail. While the article states this is a Cuban drink I felt since it’s made with light beer and ginger ale it was waiting for a Michigan twist.
So to the store, I headed to pick up Michigan’s own Vernor’s Ginger Ale. Then I picked up some Local’s Light Ale from Short’s Brewing. I have a deep fondness for Short’s Brewing. They have such unique and delicious brews that they make pairing them with food so much fun!
Here are a few of my favorite Short’s Brewing food pairings:
- Toad in a Hole with Soft Parade
- Beef Tips & Gravy with The Double Magician
- Fried Jalapeno Burger with Michigantuan
- Jerk Chicken Sandwiches with Bellaire Brown
Enough of the reminiscing and let’s get on to the Bull’s Eye beer cocktail.
How to make a Bull’s Eye Beer Cocktail for two:
This is will make 2 drinks. I made them right in the glass. I’m sure if you were serving a crowd you could easily double and make right in a pitcher. You might even avoid the overflow that you see below!
To a glass add 1/2 of the beer. Then add 1/2 Tbs sugar and half the amount of the lime juice, about 2-1/2 Tbs. This is where the bubble up will happen so let the fizz settle then using a spoon stir the ingredients together.
Top off with half a cup of ginger ale then fill to the brim with ice. Add more ginger ale as needed to fill the glass.
Give it one last stir and top with limes for garnish and straw. This beer cocktail is both refreshing and light, perfect for a hot day.
Tips for making THE BEST Bull’s Eye Beer Cocktail:
- For less sugar, Vernor’s comes in diet as well.
- Looking for drinks for a crowd? Double the recipe and add to a pitcher. Stir and pour over ice in cups.
And here you are….cheers!
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Bull's Eye Beer Cocktail
- 1 12-ounce light beer I used Short's Brewing Local's Light
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1 Tbs white sugar
- lime slices for garnish
- To a glass add 1/2 of the beer. Then add 1/2 Tbs sugar and half the amount of the lime juice, about 2-1/2 Tbs.
- Let the fizz settle then using a spoon stir the ingredients together.
- Top off with half a cup of ginger ale then fill to the brim with ice. Add more ginger ale as needed to fill the glass.
- Give it one last stir and top with limes for garnish and straw. Cheers!
Last Updated on September 6, 2021 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten