If you like spice in your life, you will LOVE this jalapeno popper chicken with Cajun potatoes for dinner tonight. Chicken breasts are stuffed with a jalapeno and green chili cream cheese mixture then rolled in a crispy coated and baked.
I used inspiration for this stuffed chicken dish from a dip that I made for it. Quick Tomato Jalapeno Popper Dip from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen. II made this appetizer recently for a party and it was AMAZING! I ate and ate…..and ate on it (I couldn’t stop myself!) I thought about how great this would taste if I used it to replace the filling in my cream cheese stuffed chicken roll-ups. Let me tell you, it worked so well and add just the right amount of heat.
What beer pairs well with this jalapeno popper chicken?
The beer: Speakerswagon Pilsner from Haymarket Brewing.
Simple and crisp this pilsner is the perfect way to cool down your mouth from the cream cheese jalapeno filling in this baked chicken dish.
What movie should you watch while enjoying this spicy dish?
Charlie Day is ALWAYS an actor that I will watch and his performance in the movie Fist Fight did not disappoint.
This jalapeno cream cheese chicken with potatoes has-
- A spicy potato side dish made with potatoes and Cajun seasoning
- Chicken breasts cut and thinned out
- A cream cheese filling with jalapeno, green chilies, and seasoning
- Seasoned coating to add a crispy crunch to the chicken
How to make jalapeno popper chicken with Cajun potatoes step-by-step
The chicken and potatoes can be made in two dishes but cooked together to save the guesswork.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Start with chopping the potatoes and onions into bite-sized cubes.
Drizzle with oil and Cajun seasoning then stir to combine and add to a small baking dish.
For the chicken, combine the jalapenos, chilies, garlic powder, salt, pepper, softened cream cheese, and sour cream. Stir everything together and set it aside.
Pour the seasoned coating mix into a shallow dish.
Slice each chicken breast horizontally to make 2 equally sized pieces-will make 8 in total.
Take a tenderizer with the flat side and pound out the chicken until it’s about 1/2 inch thick.
Spread the filling on the middle of the chicken then roll.
Roll into the chicken coating then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Put both dishes into the preheated oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Tips & Variations
- You can use fresh jalapenos in place of pickled jalapenos, just make sure to remove the seeds before adding them to the cream cheese mixture.
- Chicken tenderloins can be used for this recipe instead of the chicken breasts. Make sure to thin them out still using the meat tenderizer.
More recipes with jalapenos
Plate, crack open a beer, and here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Jalapeno Popper Chicken with Cajun Potatoes
- 9×13 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- meat tenderizer
- small baking dish
- aluminum foil
- 4 russet potatoes cleaned, skinned, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced through the middle horizontally
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1 tablespoon green chilies
- 1 tablespoon diced pickled jalapenos
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package seasoned coating
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Clean and remove the skin from the potatoes.4 russet potatoes
- Dice the potatoes into small pieces.
- Remove the skin from the onion and dice.1 medium sweet onion
- Add the potatoes and onion to a small baking dish.
- Drizzle the top of the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with the Cajun seasoning.2 tablespoons oil, 1 tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- Use a spoon to coat the potatoes.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Add to the oven to cook while you make the chicken.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken
- Combine the jalapenos, chilies, garlic powder, salt, pepper, softened cream cheese, and sour cream. Stir to combine.4 ounces cream cheese, 4 ounces sour cream, 1 tablespoon green chilies, 1 tablespoon diced pickled jalapenos, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pour the packet of the seasoned coating into a shallow dish.1 package seasoned coating
- Cut the chicken lengthwise, then half each piece into tenderloin size.4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Use a piece of plastic to cover the chicken, then use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken into thin slices, about 1/2-inch thick.
- Spread the filling in the middle of the chicken, then roll the chicken into bundles.
- Roll the chicken in the seasoned coating and place it onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven with the potatoes for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- How you cut the chicken breasts will depend on how many roll-ups you get. I got 4 pieces of chicken from each chicken breast.
- Some of the filling will come out of the sides as they bake. Just scoop up the leftover filling and serve with the chicken.
- Occasionally stir the potatoes as they cook so they don’t stick to the bottom of the baking dish.
- To store: Add to a covered container. Reheat in the oven or microwave.
Originally published in April of 2017. Updated post in May of 2022 with new photos, same great recipe.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on May 21, 2022 by [email protected]
Leave a Reply