All the ingredients you love in a great Italian sub are rolled up in pizza crust and baked to perfection in this Italian sub stromboli.
If you follow my blog at all, you will know that one of my favorite things in life is sandwiches. ALL kinds of sandwiches. Carb nirvana wrapped around delicious fillings and capped off with a different array of toppings and sauces. What is not to love?
So with this stromboli, I took my favorite ingredients for Italian subs and baked it in a pizza crust-thus a stromboli.
Italian sub stromboli makes for a great meal or appetizer and goes from plain pizza crust to table in 30 minutes.
All baked together to a golden brown. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm.
The ingredients and why they work so well together
This homemade stromboli has-
- Pre-made pizza crust. You can find the tube, rectangle pizza crust in the grocery store next to the pre-made biscuits.
- Black forest ham, pepperoni & hard salami Layer the lunchmeat on top of the dough.
- Two types of cheese – shredded mozzarella and slices of swiss. The two types of cheese, from slice and shredded, melt really well together.
- Tomatoes and peppercini. The peppercini and tomatoes add so much flavor.
- Pre-made Italian dressing. Drizzle on top of the ingredients before rolling up.
- Egg and Italian seasoning. Brush whisked egg on top of the pizza crust and finish off with Italian seasoning.
- Serve with a marinara sauce for dipping.
How to make Italian stromboli step-by-step
For this recipe, I used parchment paper under the pizza crust. I liked using this because it made rolling up the stromboli with the leverage from the paper much easier.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Start by rolling out the pizza dough on pieces of parchment paper.
Next, start placing the Italian Sub ingredients onto one side of the dough, not in the middle.
Layer the ham, salami, pepperoni, swiss cheese, peppercini, diced tomatoes, swiss, and mozzarella cheese. Pour the Italian dressing over the top, splitting between the two.
Since this pizza crust has parchment paper built-in the rolling up of the stromboli is so simple. Start by folding the pizza crust over the filling.
Peel down the parchment paper and repeat the process until the pizza crust is all rolled up and the filling is completely rolled up into the pizza crust.
If necessary, move the dough so that the dough ends up seam-side down.
Crimp the end of the pizza crust to seal the stromboli completely.
Whisk an egg then brush on top of the crust. This gives it a nice brown color on the top.
Using a knife, make 5-6 cuts on top of the crust so the heat can escape while baking.
Sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Remove the Italian Sub stromboli from the oven.
Tips & Variations
- I used Black Forest ham but any type of ham can be used.
- Cut at least 4 cuts in the top of the stromboli to vent the steam.
- Make your own homemade Italian dressing from Will Cook for Smiles.
Want more sandwich recipes?
Slice and serve with prepared pizza sauce. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Italian Sub Stromboli
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 2 14 ounces tube pizza Crusts
- 9 ounces Black Forest ham slices
- 1/4 pound hard salami
- 3 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices swiss cheese cut into 8 slices
- 1/4 cup prepared Italian dressing
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup medium peppercinis
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 16 ounces prepared marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Start by rolling out the pizza dough.2 14 ounces tube pizza Crusts
- Start placing the Italian Sub ingredients onto one side of the dough. Layer the ham, salami, pepperoni, swiss cheese, pepperoncini's, diced tomatoes, swiss, and mozzarella cheese. Pour the Italian dressing over the top, splitting between the two.9 ounces Black Forest ham slices, 1/4 pound hard salami, 3 ounces sliced pepperoni, 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, 4 slices swiss cheese, 2 roma tomatoes, 1/4 cup medium peppercinis, 1/4 cup prepared Italian dressing
- Start by folding the pizza crust over the filling.
- Peel down the parchment paper and repeat the process until the pizza crust is all rolled up and the filling is completely rolled up into the pizza crust.
- Make sure that the dough ends up seam side down, and move carefully if necessary.
- Crimp the end of the pizza crust to seal the stromboli completely.
- Whisk an egg then brush on top of the crust.1 medium egg
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- Using a knife, make 5-6 cuts on top of the crust so the heat can escape while baking.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the Italian Sub stromboli from the oven. Slice and serve with prepared marinara sauce. Enjoy!16 ounces prepared marinara sauce
Tips for making this recipe:
- Using parchment paper under the prepared pizza crust makes it easier to use as leverage while rolling up the stromboli. Slowly peel away the parchment as you roll it up. The unused parchment paper can be cut away or left, it may look dark brown once it comes out but has no effect on the taste.
- Make sure to slice at least 4 cuts in the top to vent.
- To store: add to a covered container and eat within 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, oven, or air fryer. I do not recommend freezing this dish.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on November 26, 2022 by [email protected]