This hot chocolate and toast may sound like an odd combination, but there really is nothing like buttery toast dipped in homemade hot cocoa brimming with marshmallows to warm you right up.
Now that Thanksgiving is over let’s get cozy and ready for Christmastime. That also means here in the Bottom Left of the Mitten at any moment we can be visited with the dreaded 4 letter word: S-N-O-W. Now don’t get me wrong I love snowy days until about January then I’m done with it. However Michigan does not listen to me and the last few years it can snow March-March I say! So why not cozy up with a warm bowl of soup. Or go out and play it then come home to a piping hot cup of homemade hot chocolate.
As a kid Winter was racing down the biggest hill in our area, Kincheloe Hill, on a bobsled that had *gasp* real metal skis on it. My brother and I would build igloos brick by brick and then sit in them for hours. No matter what the wintertime activity was when we were finally forced to come in and peel off the wet layers full of ice balls we would then sit down with one of my favorite treats. The best way to warm up was a big mug of hot chocolate brimming with gooey marshmallows and buttery toast on the side to dip in it.
This hot chocolate could not be simpler. Forget ever buying a packet again all you will want to make sure to keep on hand is some sugar, milk, and really good cocoa powder.
This hot cocoa mix has-
- Bread and butter of choice, I used sliced French bread
- Whole milk
- Sugar and cocoa powder
- Minitature marshmallows
How to make hot chocolate and toast
In a medium saucepan add the milk and turn it on to medium heat. Now to the milk whisk in the sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla.
Keep whisking and cook the cocoa for 5 minutes.
Turn off heat.
Now it’s time to toast the bread. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Slice 6 pieces of French bread and slather on LOTS of butter on each side. Place the slices on a baking sheet and put them into the oven to bake for 3 minutes.
Flip the bread, and bake for another 3 minutes.
Recipes for chocolate lovers
Split the milk between 2 cups. Top with marshmallows. Serve with the toasted bread for dipping. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Hot Chocolate and Toast
- small pot
- small baking sheet
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- 6 slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter slightly melted
- In a medium saucepan add the milk and turn it on to medium heat. Now to the milk whisk in the sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla. Keep whisking and cook the cocoa for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.4 cups whole milk, 1/3 cup white sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Keep whisking and cook the cocoa for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Add the hot chocolate to two mugs. Top with mini marshmallows.1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the French bread into 6 slices.6 slices French bread
- Butter each side of the bread and place the slices on a small baking sheet.2 tablespoons butter
- Bake the bread for 3 minutes , then flip and bake for another 3 minutes.
Tips for making this recipe:
- I used sliced French bread with butter spread on it and baked. BUT you can use just plain bread and toast in the toaster, adding butter once it has cooked.
- Cocoa powder can be substituted for dark chocolate cocoa for Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa.
Originally published in November of 2017. Updated post with photos and recipe tweaks in December of 2021.
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on February 22, 2022 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten