Caprese chicken meatball subs have delicious layers of flavors from a homemade balsamic vinaigrette brushed on sub buns, baked ground chicken meatballs, and a simple Caprese salad on top.
For this Mitten Movie Night, I’ve got a unique meatball sub recipe without tomato sauce or frozen meatballs. I know, I know. That is a weird thing to point out, but that seems to be what a lot of baked meatball subs have on them. Not this one though, because I am all about being unique and cool, or I’m just trying to create for you the most delicious recipes paired with really great beers. And this one delivers.
I took the most basic components of a Caprese salad like balsamic dressing and brushed it on sub sandwich buns. Then I made meatballs with ground chicken and other seasonings and baked them so they were juicy on the inside. Finally, mix together homegrown basil from the garden, diced cherry tomatoes, and a small amount of salt for the top. See what I mean by ‘layers of flavor’.
What beer pairs well with these Caprese chicken meatball subs?
The beer: Yuengling Lager
This is a beer that I always reach for when I have a dish that has TONS of flavor like this one. It’s is very drinkable and has no overwhelming notes that can take away from the three combined flavors in this recipe.
What new movies should you check out on Netflix right now
This time of year you CAN NOT miss out on really good horror movies. on Netflix, I recommend What It Takes To Live and There’s Someone Inside Your House.
Grab your best cozy blanket, and a cold beer to calm your nerves so you aren’t spending a good portion of both these movies screaming at the television. Like you would do any better under the circumstances.
These ground chicken meatball subs have several layers that include-
- Soft baked sub sandwich buns
- A simple balsamic vinaigrette made with olive oil, melted butter, balsamic vinegar, and spices
- Tender meatballs with ground chicken, Italian breadcrumbs, garlic, egg, cheese, and fresh basil
- Topped with a quick Caprese salad
How to make this meatball sub recipe step-by-step
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the ingredients for the chicken meatballs.
Take a large spoonful of the mixture and using your hands roll it into a ball shape. You will want a total of 15 meatballs, 3 per sandwich.
Place them on a 9×13″ baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Bake for 20 minutes.
These ground chicken meatballs would also be great in soup and pasta dishes.
Cut a rectangle in the center of each bun. Then remove the bread.
Mix the olive oil, melted butter, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. (I added the butter to add another depth of flavor to the vinaigrette).
Brush the inside of the bread wells with the balsamic vinaigrette.
Place three meatballs into the center of each bun.
Sprinkle each sandwich with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Place back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
While the sandwiches are cooking make the Caprese salad topping by dicing tomatoes, cut the fresh basil, and add salt to a bowl.
Once the sandwiches have been baked top with the Caprese salad and serve.
Tips & Variations
- Swap the ground chicken for ground turkey
- I like to use fresh basil, but you can use dried basil for the Caprese salad
- Make your own sandwich rolls with this recipe from Oh Sweet Basil
More meatball recipes
And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Caprese Chicken Meatball Subs
- 9×13 baking sheet
- parchment paper
- basting brush
- 5 sub sandwich buns
Baked Ground Chicken Meatball Subs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Simple Caprese Salad
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes diced
- 1 bunch fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.5 sub sandwich buns
Baked Ground Chicken Meatball Subs
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the chicken meatballs.1 pound ground chicken, 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup whole milk, 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, 1 egg, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Take a large spoonful of the mixture, and using your hands roll into a ball shape. You will want a total of 15 meatballs, 3 per sandwich.
- Place on a 9×13" baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Brush the inside of the bread wells with the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Place three meatballs into the center of each bun.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with shredded mozzarella cheese.1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Place back into the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the olive oil, melted butter, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.2 tablespoons melted butter, 1/4 cup light olive oil, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Simple Caprese Salad
- Dice the tomatoes and chop the fresh basil. Sprinkle with salt and stir together.1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, 1 bunch fresh basil, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Top with the Caprese salad and serve. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- You can swap the ground chicken out for ground turkey.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 31, 2022 by [email protected]