This week officially was the start of sports season. My son started football practice which means that except for a few weeks over the holidays my husband, who coaches most of his sports, and him are gone to practice at least 2 nights a week. Then every Saturday is a game. For football, soccer and basketball…until mid-March. So that means I need to have quick meals ready before they are back out the door again. One of my kids favorites is this Easy Chicken & Dumplings. I can get this on the table and it’s a great way to make sure he’s got good wholesome fuel to power him through his practices.
The things I use for these are usually what I have on hand in my pantry and freezer. Freezer you say? Yes, freezer. When I find carrots and celery on sale I will chop them up and put them in a plastic freezer bag and put them in the freezer. It ensures that I always have these on hand for soups. So gather your ingredients….
For this recipe use any type of shredded chicken you desire. I personally like to use chicken thighs that I cook in the crock pot with just salt and pepper then shred. I used the whole large package and had enough leftover for chicken tacos later in the week. Win! Of course though you can just as easily use leftover rotisserie chicken or cook a few chicken breasts on the stove.
Chop all your good veggies up. Add to a large pot with your 2 Tbs. butter. Saute for around 5 minutes to make onion and garlic soft. Now add your stock and water. (I use chicken bouillon versus chicken stock. This is a preferred taste for me so feel free to use either. When using chicken bouillon I usually heat water to boil and place cubes in that water to dissolve. Then then just add the remaining water separate. This is what you see in my Donald Duck cup. From one of my favorite places ever, Disney World!) Finally add your chicken.
Bring your pot to a good rolling boil for around 10 minutes. Time to make your biscuits. Add milk, oregano, thyme and the Jiffy mix. Stir to combine. Viola! Done. Easy as that! Once pot is at a rolling boil you are going to drop your biscuit mix in one spoonful at a time on top of the broth and vegetables. Drop all the way around filling up the top of the pot.
Keep the pot at a roiling boil for another 10 minutes. This is the consistency you want. The dumplings cooked completely through.
This is a perfect & easy weeknight dinner that your kids will love, trust me! And here you are…….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Thank you to Ellen Folkman from Family Around the Table for hosting this weeks Sunday Supper. Keep kids happy with these other Kid Friendly Recipes from the Sunday Supper Family.
- Dueling Gyozas – Pork vs. Tofu by Food Lust People Love
- Kid-Approved Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Chips by Dessert Geek
- S’mores Cheeseball by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Aunt Deborah’s Snickerdoodles by Family Around The Table
- Chocolate Frozen Custard by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Easy Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Easy Nutella Mousse by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Fairy Bread Funfetti Milkshakes by The Crumby Cake
- Grape Juice Jigglers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Gumdrop Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Cherry Popsicles by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Peach Boy Ice Cream by The Ninja Baker
- Mango Creamsicles by The Redhead Baker
- No-Cook Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream by Hardly A Goddess
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- S’mores Cheesecake by The Freshman Cook
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Cinnamon Pecan Ice Cream Sandwiches by The Chef Next Door
- Turtle Poke Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whoopie Pies by Monica’s Table
- Broccoli Cheese Soup by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Dog Muffins by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Deep Dish Pizza Casserole by My World Simplified
- Grilled Pizza Flatbread Bar by Momma’s Meals
- How to Set Up a Hot Dog Bar by An Appealing Plan
- Lobster Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Madison’s Shrimp Lasagna Rolls by Life Tastes Good
- Orecchiette Pasta with Creamy Alfredo Sauce by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Pasta Quattro Formaggi by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Spaghetti and Meatball Casserole by Cooking with Carlee
- Tuna Salad Grinders by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Caprese Quesadillas by Simple and Savory
- Maple Brown Sugar Granola Clusters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Waffle Parfait by Our Good Life
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.