Heading out to a picnic? These little slider sandwiches with big flavor are perfect because they are very portable. The sweetness of the roll mixed with savory cream cheese and deli meats can be rich but also addicting. Limit yourself to one then treat yourself to a great picnic dessert like my Piña Colada Upside Down Cake.
This week started 3 day work weeks for my husband. Normally he already works 4-10 hour shifts so with enough saved up vacation time he took another day off every week until September. Plenty of time to have fun in the pool and discover new places that we haven’t visited yet is on our agenda. This past week alone took Little A to his very first trip to SkyZone and a zoo that was truly amazing.
Then of course we will be hitting the usual places that we love:
Head over to St. Joseph, MI for the Splash Pad and grab a slice of pizza at Silver Beach Pizza
Visit the animals at Potawatomi Zoo – The oldest zoo in Indiana.
Central Park in Mishawaka – Our newest find! A smaller splash pad and play area. The perfect place to have a picnic!
Make sure to catch a South Bend Cubs game.
See the area that we live in is coined ‘ Michiana’. On the boarder of Michigan and Indiana. Head to Kalamazoo or to South Bend in equal time. Plus we are about equally 2-1/2 hours from Detroit, Indianapolis and Chicago. So many possibilities but since we aren’t giant planners we will have to just see where the Summer takes us. Now on to the picnic food!
Sweet Hawaiian rolls make the perfect bun for these sandwiches. These slider buns come in a a package that can be used to get them where they are going. First let’s make the herbed cream cheese. Take 1 block of cream cheese and make sure it’s softened. Mix in garlic powder, oregano and parley then stir to combine.
Cut the buns in half placing the bottom half back into the box that the rolls originally came in. Spread half of the cream cheese on the buns. Layer ham, sliced tomatoes then the turkey pastrami. Taking the top half put the rest of the cream cheese on it then put on top. All done! You are picnic ready in less than 10 minutes.
After the sandwiches have been assembled here is a great way to transport them to your favorite picnic location-use the packaging from the rolls. Since they were made right in the paper tray now just cover with two pieces of plastic wrap and put back into bag. Tie with plastic tie and you are ready! Place the sandwiches at the top of your cooler so they don’t get flattened. And here your are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Thank you to this weeks Sunday Supper host Christie Campbell of A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures. Check out all of the other recipes that will have your picnic table filled this Summer.
Best Picnic Recipes to Enjoy at the Park #SundaySupper
Starters, Skewers, and Sandwiches al Fresco
- Antipasto Skewers by Soulfully Made
- Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cream Cheese Slider Sandwiches by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Italian Layered Portable Picnic Jars by The Weekend Gourmet
- Low Carb Ham Pinwheels by Cricket’s Confections
- Patatas Brava Chorizo Sausage Rolls by Food Lust People Love
- Refrigerator Pickled Ratatouille Vegetables by My Life Cookbook
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps by The Crumby Kitchen
Stow-and-Go Sides and Salads
- Authentic German Potato Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Avocado Bacon Loaded Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- BBQ Ranch Pasta Salad by Cooking With Carlee
- Broccoli Slaw by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Jalapeno Popper Macaroni Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Marinated Zucchini and Summer Squash by Caroline’s Cooking
- Old Fashioned Potato Salad by Life Tastes Good
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad by Family Foodie
- Southern Cornbread Salad by Gourmet Everyday
- Summer Quinoa Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Whole30 Cauliflower Potato Salad by Bites of Wellness
Drinks and Desserts for Outdoor Dining
- Banana Snack Cake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Blueberry Hand Pies by Our Good Life
- Cantaloupe Mint Lemonade by Palatable Pastime
- Cherry Poke Cake by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Caramel Layer Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Cherry No Bake Bars by The Freshman Cook
- Mixed Fruit Drink by Basic N Delicious
- Rice Krispie Sushi by NinjaBaker.com
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Sliders have been a huge hit in my house since I started making them about a year ago. In the summer they pair well with chips and other cold side dishes. In the winter they are perfect for dipping into soups. They are also big on flavor when you hit the right combination. I think I have a winner for you today for Sunday Supper, Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce.
Sure you can make these sliders just plain or maybe add some boring mayonnaise on it but why would you when you can add some ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce? While this is similar to the pickle & vinegar based sauce we all know and love I really wanted to set mine apart with a unique name. So I am paying homage to a show that I have loved since my early teen’s, Saturday Night Live.
You know that question, “Who are the 3 people you would invite to dinner?” I could easily answer that and everyone at the table would be a former cast member of SNL. I am a super Tina Fey Fan Girl. Will Ferrell in my eyes is the hottest guy in Hollywood. And Steve Martin is a genius. Who would you invite to dinner?
Alright, enough chit chat. Let’s get cooking!. Gather your ingredients….
Cook your bacon according to package direction. I just make mine right on my stove top but my friend swears by baking it in the oven. Drain the bacon then set up a slider assembly. Grease the bottom of a baking dish. Add buns, turkey, bacon and cheese. Top off with the bun. In a microwave safe mug add 2 Tbs. butter and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. Melt butter in microwave. Pour on top of the sliders. Put sliders into a preheated 375 degree over for 15 minutes.
For the sauce. Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Done! Pour over the sliders when they are served. Add tomatoes if you wish. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
As always I would like to thank our host for this Sunday Supper, Erica from The Crumby Cupcake. She is actually the one that introduced me to this wonderful group. So thank you Erica! Now go ahead and try these other 40+ bacon recipes:
Bacon in Appetizers
- Apple and Bacon Jam Quesadillas by Nik Snacks
- Bacon Barbecue Nachos by Where Latin Meets Lagniappe
- Game Day Bacon & Cheddar ‘Tater Skins by Powered By BLING
- Killer Jalapeño Poppers by Simply Healthy Family
- Spicy Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp by Food Lust People Love
Bacon for Breakfast
- Avocado Toast with Coconut Bacon by Helpful Homemade
- Bacon Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Glaze by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Breakfast Bruschetta by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Candied Maple Bacon by A Mind Full Mom
- Maple Bacon Protein Pancakes by Amee’s Savory Dish
Bacon for Dessert
- Bacon Brownie Balls by Monica’s Table
- Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies by Desserts Required
- Boozy Bacon Cherry Crumble by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Bacon Crack by Brunch-n-Bites
- Flourless Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Maple Bacon Truffles by Dessert Geek
- Spiced Apple Bacon Upside Down Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
Bacon for Dinner
- Bacon and Pumpkin Pasta by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Bacon Corn Chowder by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Fried Rice by Asian In America
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf by April Golightly
- Creamy Blue Cheese Pasta with Steak and Bacon by Magnolia Days
- K.C.’s Award Winning Turkey Bacon Explosion by Cooking With Carlee
- Kimchi Bacon Fried Rice by kimchi MOM
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- The Pigskin Loaded Baked Potato by Sunday Supper Movement
- Triple Bypass Burgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
Bacon in Beverages
- Candied Bacon Old Fashioned by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Homemade Bloody Mary with Candied Bacon Swizzle by Our Good Life
- Pancetta with Balsamic-Brown Sugar-Pepper Glaze for Bloody Mary by La Bella Vita Cucina
Bacon for Lunch
- Bacon, Fig and Goat’s Cheese Quiche by Caroline’s Cooking
- BLT Bread Salad by The Chef Next Door
- Grilled Manwich Club by Momma’s Meals
- Restaurant Style Double Bacon BLT by The Freshman Cook
- Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce by Bottom Left of the Mitten
Bacon as a Side Dish
- Bacon and Cheddar Smashed Red Potatoes by Family Around The Table
- Bourbon Bacon Jam by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bacon, Beer & Jalapeno Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Easy Bacon, Beans & Greens by My Life Cookbook
- Greens with Gruyere and Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Peas with Bacon and Crispy Onions by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Our Discloser Policy