Thick doughy crust sets the stage for spaghetti sauce, Italian sausage mushrooms, and onions. This Thick Crust Sausage Pizza is perfect for a fuss-free pizza night.
Got no plans this weekend? Long weekends that called for being lazy and cooking some of my favorites like this Thick Crust Sausage Pizza made with Michigan’s Own Jiffy Mix Pizza Crust.
How does Mitten Movie Night work?
I’ve decided in 2018 to do Mitten Movie Night a little differently. Usually what I’ve been doing is talking about movies we plan on seeing that night. I decided that really didn’t make much sense since how can I give an honest review if I haven’t seen them yet? Think of this now as a movie review night + good food + great beer.
What movie pairs well with a slice of pizza?
First up was one of my favorites from our movie nights. Most people know Anne Hathaway as the Princess Diaries and a million other rom-com’s but in between, she was also in this weird but interesting sci-fi/comedy, Colossal.
I will say if you look this up online it didn’t get really great ratings and I don’t think it lasted long in theaters but if your looking for out of the box thinking, dark and brooding comedy then you will be in for a treat.
What craft beer pairs well with thick crust pizza topped with sausage?
The beer: Bell’s Two Hearted Ale
If you love Bell’s beer don’t forget that right now is the yearly release of Hopslam. My husband looks forward to it every year and I know he is now alone. Now on to the pizza recipe!
How to make Thick Crust Sausage Pizza:
To start the pizza, combine two boxes of Jiffy Pizza Crust with 1 cup warm water into a bowl. Stir to combine until there are no clumps then place a towel over the bowl and let rise 10 minutes.
While the crust rises in a pan over medium-high heat cook the sausage. Breaking it up as it cooks into small bite-size pieces. Halfway through add chopped onions and the can of mushrooms.
I find when you use fresh mushrooms for this pizza they get soggy and make the sausage slimy. Using canned mushrooms helped with this problem but if you do wish to use fresh cook them separate from the sausage and then add as a separate topping.
Cook sausage completely through then set aside until the dough has risen.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and grease a 9″x13″ cookie sheet (make sure it has an edge to it).
Flour your hands a bit and take the dough out of the bowl and form to the sheet. Push the dough all the way to the edge and then up the sides a bit.
Take prepared sauce and top crust with it pushing to all sides. Top off with the sausage and mushrooms. Then add the shredded cheese.
The last step I do when making this pizza is just for my preference but I really think that it makes a delicious difference in the overall taste of this pizza. Over the top of the cheese sprinkle 1/2 Tbs garlic powder then 1/2 Tbs Italian seasoning. Put into the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
Cut into 12 pieces and here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Next time a craving for pizza takes over skip the local pizza place, forget the boxed cardboard frozen stuff and make your own! Thick crust that is loaded with toppings, cheese and tomatoes. Baked to gooey perfection. Forget traditional crust and make this Chicago Deep Dish Pizza.
Where we live we are about 2 hours from many major cities. That means we can stay home or go visit Indianapolis, Detroit, Toledo (their craft beer scene is awesome~I highly suggest giving it a try) or Chicago. While we don’t hit Chicago very often we were able for a time to get real deep dish at a Gino’s East location that they had about a half hour from us in Granger, Indiana. Sadly though it closed. So it was up to make the thick pizza that I loved so much! Other than the sausage that comes on an authentic Gino’s East, which is amazing, I think I pulled it off a pretty good copycat.
Start off with your crust. This recipe is very similar to my White Chicken Pizza with Basil & Blackberry Sauce with the exception of reducing the flour and adding cornmeal to the dough. It gives it that crunchy texture that most deep dish pizzas have. Gather your ingredients….
Mix yeast, water & honey together. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes. You should see bubbles are formed on the top of the water/yeast mixture. Now add the flour, honey & salt to the yeast mixture. Stir with a spatula then complete by hand. After it has formed a ball cover with 2 tsp. of olive oil. Put a towel over the bowl and let rise for 15-20 minutes.
Once the dough has risen uncover and place on a floured surface. Roll with a rolling pin to almost double the size of your pan so there is plenty to go around the deep edges of a greased springform pan. Place the dough into the pan cinching edges as not to overlap over the top of the pan. Brush crust with 2 Tbs. melted butter all over then place in a preheated 375 degree oven to bake for 8-10 minutes. Take out of the oven and now it’s time to load it up! Layer cheese, filling, more cheese then top with the drained tomatoes. It’s very important that the tomatoes are drained because you don’t want the juice making your crust soggy.
My filling is a combination of Italian sausage, hamburger, mushrooms, green peppers, olives, onions, garlic cloves mixed with Italian seasonings and tomato paste. I will put the full ingredients below but this is your pizza please add whatever you like! A great crust, lots of cheese and the crushed tomatoes really are what make a deep dish what it is. A blank slate to add whatever toppings you like. Once all your layers are on place in your oven that is already preheated at 375 degrees. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Thank you Coleen of The Red Headed Baker for hosting this week! Need more pizza inspiration? Here are 50+ more recipes to check out….
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everyday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.