Salsa Chicken Skillet is the perfect one-pan meal! With chicken, a creamy sauce, tortillas and lots of cheese this will quickly become your busy weeknight go-to.
This is something that I’ve been making for years. It’s really quick, just a few ingredients and all cooked in one pan. Did I mention that it’s fast? Did I mention it’s delicious? Did I mention that kids and adults both will love this meal? Did I mention how good this is even though it may not *look* extra appealing?
There really wasn’t a way, no matter how I staged this meal, to look anything but sloppy. BUT HOW DELICIOUSLY SLOPPY IT IS!
Everything in this dish melds so well together so perfectly that presentation will be the least of your worries if you make this for your family.
How to make Salsa Chicken Skillet:
Start by dicing the chicken and onions. Add oil to a skillet over medium/high then add chicken and onion. Start to saute. Cook chicken through until no longer pink.
Next, cut up the tortilla pieces like a pie.
Once the chicken is cooked pour the flour over the top, stir to combine with chicken. Then add the chicken stock and ranch dressing.
Bring to a boil and let the sauce thicken.
Add your tortillas to the top of the skillet and stir to combine. Cook for around 3-5 minutes.
On top of the chicken & tortillas pour the entire jar of salsa on top. Don’t stir.
Place cheese on top. Cook until cheese is melted or put this under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Serve with some lettuce and sour cream. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Originally published in September of 2016. Updated photos & recipe April of 2019.
Thank you so much to this Sunday Supper host Liz from that Skinny Chick Can Bake. Do you need more quick meal ideas? Check these out……
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
My 9 yr old’s will readily say that his favorite meal is “Pierogies.” This casserole was born from the fact that I was really getting tired of the same pierogi with butter while it is good it really needed some jazzing up. The first time I made this for him within the first few bites he was in heaven and thus the Cheesy Pierogi Casserole’ became a keeper in this house.
Getting creative with some of my families favorites is so much fun for me. Yes, I am boring and you know I’m okay with that! I wanted a unique dessert so I came up with this Chocolate Bottom Strawberry Cheesecake. How could I make my husbands favorite appetizer a little different? Boom Wing Sauce Sliders! Thankfully my family is up to the task of trying out the end results.
While I have attempted the homemade version of pierogies, honestly the time & effort were not nearly as good as the boxed version. I was kind of sad about this because I usually say that homemade anything is better than boxed. What I did was make the same roux I use for Macaroni & Cheese and add ham. It really takes an average side and makes a meal out of it. Not only is this delicious, it’s quick to make.
Cook the pierogi according to package directions. This typically takes 8-10 minutes in boiling water to cook all the way through once cooked, add them to a strainer while the roux is made.
Now it’s time to make the ham & cheese mixture or ‘roux’ if you prefer. Gather the ingredients…..
Using the same pan start melting 4 Tbs. butter. Add the diced ham. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. Add 2 Tbs. flour & pepper to the mixture and stir then add 1 cup milk and half the package of cheese to the sauce and cook for about 3-4 minutes or until thickened. Once the sauce is thickened combine the cooked Pierogies with the ham & cheese sauce.
Add to a 8×11 greased serving dish and top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. All this cheesy goodness is a perfect quick weeknight meal the whole family will love. I served this with a bagged Fresh Express Bacon Caesar Salad & roasted Brussel spouts to round the meal out. And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.