Asparagus Soup #SundaySupper
This Asparagus Soup recipe is so easy and makes a great recipe for a creamy yet light lunch or dinner. You will be craving this soup all season long!
When my husband and I got married we went to Riviera Maya for our honeymoon. Where we stayed at had the best Asparagus Soup. I would order it every night for a late night snack…and I’ll admit that I would order a steak with it too. Hey, we were on vacation! So when this weeks Sunday Supper theme came out, Easy Spring Recipes, I knew I had to finally try and recreate this soup recipe with one of my favorite Spring vegetables.
One thing that is plentiful throughout the Spring & Summer in Michigan is asparagus. I actually grew up next to a field of it when I was a kid and you can find it at roadside stands for cheap! A great tip is to buy it in bulk and freeze it so when it goes up to almost $5/pound in the Winter I don’t have to worry about it when I have a craving.
Thinking about this got me interested in knowing when fruits and vegetables are at their peak growing season in Michigan. I found this great resource from PickYourOwn.org with all the fruits and vegetables and when the crop will become available. Check it out to see what goodies are coming soon to a farm near you.
How to make Asparagus Soup recipe:
Chop off those pesky hard ends on the asparagus and throw them out. Then chop the rest in equal pieces.
Heat up some oil in the bottom of a large pot over medium/high heat. Add the asparagus and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Sautee for 3-4 minutes then sprinkle 1 Tbs of flour over the top, stir to coat all the vegetables evenly with the flour.
Add chicken stock then set to a low/medium simmer and let cook uncovered for 25 minutes.
Making this soup ‘creamy’ is a two-step process. One is to use a little tool called an ‘immersion blender’. This is actually something my Mother-In-Law gave me and I don’t use it too often but always glad I have it as part of my kitchen. If you do not have one I would suggest taking most of the soup mixture and putting into a blender.
For the second part of adding creaminess, take a small bowl add the milk, remaining flour and cornstarch. Stir to combine then add to the soup mixture. Finally the last part of making this soup ‘Wow’ is adding the thyme, nutmeg and Parmesan.
Top this creamy soup off with some homemade croutons.
And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Thank you so much to this weeks Sunday Supper host Anne from Simple and Savory. Check out all these wonderful Spring recipes from other taste makers:
Cakes, Pies, and Sweets
- Coconut Custard Pie by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mango Banana Bread by Asian in America
- Meyer Lemon Panna Cotta by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Upside Down Brown Sugar Apricot Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
Cookies and Bars
- Carrot Cake Oatmeal Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Coconut Mango Chia Pudding Parfait by The Crumby Cupcake
- Maple Syrup Madeleines by The Finer Cookie
- Oatmeal Rhubarb Bars by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Pistachio Lemon Bars by From the Bookshelf
- Creamy and Tangy Avocado Chicken Salad by Cooking On The Ranch
- Grilled Lamb Lollipops with a Lemon and Pea Dip by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Lemon Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Tomatoes by Hardly a Goddess
- Pad Thai Spring Rolls by Brunch-n-Bites
- Parmesan Crusted Pork Tenderloin by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Spring Pizza with Goat Cheese & Asparagus by Wholistic Woman
- Spring Power Bowl by Simple and Savory
- Crab and Asparagus Pasta by My Savory Spoon.com
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus Rotini Pasta by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pasta Salad with Artichoke Hearts & Feta by Soulfully Made
- Simple Pasta with Peas, Ham and Cream by Cooking With Carlee
- Spinach Artichoke Pasta Recipe by Life Tastes Good
- Baked Swordfish and Asparagus with Lentils and Chermoula by Caroline’s Cooking
- Flaked Salmon Arugula Spinach Watercress Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Salmon with Brie by Books n’ Cooks
- Red Snapper in a Saffron-Tomato Broth with Artichoke Hearts & Potatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Roasted Shrimp and Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Salmon with Parsley Pesto and Peas by Cooking Chat
Veggies and Sides
- Alfredo Scalloped Potatoes with Ham by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Asparagus Ham and Swiss Danish Braid by Crazed Mom
- Asparagus Soup by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Cheesy Potato Asparagus Tart by Sunday Supper Movement
- Herbed Lemon Potato Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Microwave Carrots and Peas by Cricket’s Confections
- Roasted Spring Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Shaved Asparagus Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.