Want a french fry recipe for when you’re craving salty and crunchy? Pesto Fries are drizzled with a buttery pesto sauce and make a great snack or side dish.
Who doesn’t love a big pile of hot, crispy french fries? They are like a really great little black dress, they go with everything and can be dressed up with a few accessories. The ‘accessories’ for these fries happen to be a delicious pesto sauce that is drizzled on then baked in. Sprinkle with more cheese and you’ve got a great dish for this Mitten Movie Night.
This recipe is inspired by a hot dog food truck that we had dinner from at our local energy cooperative customer appreciation day. I was sad that I didn’t get the name of it because if I had, I probably would be following it like a Grateful Dead groupie.
While waiting in line to order the smell coming out of the food truck was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Once I was up to the window I ordered a bacon-wrapped hot dog and for the side, pesto fries. They came out piping hot and loaded with pesto, cheese and tasted even better than I expected.
I locked the flavors away in my mind and knew that like most wonderful things I eat, I had to come home and recreate this Pesto Fries recipe and pair it with some great craft beer.
What movie or TV show pairs well with fries and beer?
I’m sure you have probably heard of a little show that is sweeping the horror scene called, The Haunting of Hill House. While Halloween is over, this show will keep you in the creeps for a long time. My recommendation when you start watching is to plan for a binge session because you will NOT be able to turn away.
What beer pairs well with Pesto Fries?
The beer: Little Sumpin’ Sumpin from Lagunitas.
Lagunitas is a brand that we have on hand at our house fairly regularly. This beer, in particular, is one of my husband’s favorites and can usually be found in a mixed case at Costco with other ones, like Hazy Wonder.
How to make Pesto Fries:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees or to the temperature that is on the package of fries.
On a sheet pan, place parchment paper. Spread the whole bag of frozen french fries to the pan in a single layer.
Cook according to package directions, mine took about 30 minutes flipping halfway through.
In the last 5 minutes of cooking, make the pesto sauce to go on top.
In a heatproof cup or glass measuring cup melt the butter.
To the melted butter add the minced garlic and Parmesan cheese.
Then the prepared pesto sauce.
Finally, pour in the olive oil. Stir to combine completely.
Take the french fries out of the oven and pour the pesto sauce over the fries. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes.
Take out and serve individually with parmesan-Romano cheese sprinkled on it.
Looking for a dish to serve with Pesto Fries?
And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
- large baking sheet
- parchment paper
- 1 28 ounce bag of french fries cooked according to package directions
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbs prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan-romano for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees or to the temperature that is on the package of fries.
- On a sheet pan, place parchment paper. Spread the whole bag of frozen french fries to the pan in a single layer.
- Cook according to package directions, mine took about 30 minutes flipping halfway through.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, make the pesto sauce to go on top.
- In a heatproof cup or glass measuring cup melt the butter.
- To the melted butter add the minced garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- Add the prepared pesto sauce.
- Finally, pour in the olive oil. Stir to combine completely.
- Take the french fries out the of the oven and pour the pesto sauce over the fries. Put back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Take out and serve individually with parmesan-romano cheese sprinkled on it. Enjoy!
Originally published in November of 2018. Updated post in June of 2021.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on September 6, 2021 by [email protected]