Let the slow cooker make the chicken for this sandwich then add a kick of heat with a smoky and spicy sauce. Jerk Chicken Sandwiches are then topped with pickled red onions and jalapenos.
I’ve tried a meal with jerk seasoning precisely once. Like 16 years ago. Not a fan. I decided to get wild at a chain restaurant and veer away from my normal order. Big mistake. Not being able to get through even half the sandwich because my mouth was in flames is not my idea of a good dining experience.
So when I saw that Legion of Spice would send 2 free samples I figured I didn’t have much to lose. I’m so glad that I expanded my seasonal horizons because these jerk chicken sandwiches are just what I need on this Mitten Movie Night.
What beer pairs well with Jerk Chicken Sandwiches?
The beer: Bellaire Brown from Short’s Brewing.
A perfect beer paired with the smokey, sweet spices of the jerk seasoning.
What movie pairs well with a spicy sandwich and cold craft beer?
Keeping with the Halloween theme (I know it’s passed alright!) we are re-watching The Babadook. This is on Netflix instant–if you want to freak the freak out watch it now.
How to make Jerk Chicken Sandwiches:
For the chicken, I just added it to my slow cooker with 1 cup of water and 2 Tbs of the ‘I’m A Jerk’ Seasoning. After it started cooking for an hour or so the house smelled amazing. Coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg. I wanted to jump on the computer and start researching tropical locals for a mid-winter break. Or I can save a few thousand dollars and have this meal when I’m feeling the long Michigan winter blues.
Once the chicken has cooked for 6-8 hours take it out and shred it then put it back into the pot to soak up more flavor while the sauce gets made.
Reasons why you should make chicken for sandwiches in the slow cooker:
- Cooking chicken in the slow cooker makes it extra tender and easy to shred. Perfect to top on a crispy, warm bun.
- Seasoning added to the slow cooker cooks the flavor into the chicken making it extra tasty.
- Slow cooker chicken sandwiches are perfect for busy nights since the slow cooker does almost all of the work.
Since I really love giving my recipes quirky names (ie. Turkey & Bacon Sliders with ‘Isn’t That Special’ Sauce). Therefore I decided to call this ‘Jerk’ Sauce. **Take a few minutes to think of 10 separate instances where you could have used this in a conversation…..** and we’re back!
How to make Jerk Chicken Sandwich Sauce:
Put all the sauce ingredients in a pot and set it to simmer over a low/medium heat for 10-15 minutes to thicken it up. This sauce is the perfect compliment to top these jerk chicken sandwiches.
Prepare the buns. Since I prefer mine toasted so at this time I would butter them and place in the oven for 8-10 minutes on a baking sheet. When done remove the heels from the pan and flip the lids over.
Sprinkle shredded cheese ( I use shredded cheese over anything) and put them into the oven to melt for another 2-4 minutes.
To assemble remove the meat from the crock pot and place on top of the bun. Drizzle some ‘Jerk’ Sauce on top. It’s meant to be more of a condiment than mixed with the meat like my Asian BBQ Sauce.
Dress up with some pickled red onions and jalapenos.
And here you are…..
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Jerk Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbs jerk seasoning I used Legion of Spice 'I'm a Jerk'
- 1 cup water
- 1//4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbs molasses
- 1 Tbs spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tbs honey
- 2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp jerk seasoning I used Legion of Spice 'I'm a Jerk'
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 6 hamburger buns
- pickled onion for garnish
- jalapenos for garnish
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded split over 6 buns
- For the chicken, I just added it to my slow cooker with 1 cup of water and 2 Tbs of the 'I'm A Jerk' Seasoning.
- Cook for 6-8 hours take it out and shred it. Put it back into the pot to soak up more flavor while the sauce gets made.
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a pot and set it to simmer over a low/medium heat for 10-15 minutes to thicken it up.
- Toast the buns. Butter them and put them in the oven for 8-10 minutes on a baking sheet. Taking them out remove the heels from the pan and flip the lids over. Sprinkle shredded cheese and put them into the oven to melt for another 2-4 minutes.
- To assemble remove the meat from the crock pot and place on top of the bun.
- Drizzle some 'Jerk' Sauce on top. Add some pickled red onions and jalapenos. Enjoy!
Last Updated on April 20, 2020 by [email protected]