Eggs, spinach, and ham are made into an omelet resting on crispy ciabatta bread. Spread pesto on the bread to make this ham and spinach breakfast sandwich.
Weekends are for big breakfasts with the family on Sunday. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, french toast, or omelets. This ham, egg, and spinach breakfast sandwich is the perfect balance of eggs and ham, chewy ciabatta bread, and one of my favorite condiments, pesto. Plus, starting your day out with eggs and spinach for breakfast is a bonus in the ‘eat your veggies and protein’ column.
The pesto is really what made this sandwich great. I’ve been growing basil out in my backyard for a few years now so it’s pretty much a staple in our house. Don’t have fresh basil? I find that the store version is good too so don’t get overwhelmed with an extra step if you don’t want to. The other good thing is that this sandwich can be made all in one pan.
This hot ham, egg, and cheese sandwich has-
- Eggs mixed with milk, pepper, and parmesan cheese
- Sliced ham, I like to use black forest
- Spinach and onions
- Crusty ciabatta bread
- Basil pesto
How to make a ham and spinach breakfast sandwich step-by-step
Heat up 1 tsp of oil then add the onion. Let soften for 2-3 minutes stirring so they don’t burn.
In a bowl combine the eggs, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, and milk, and whip to combine.
Now add spinach to the pan.
Cook for about a minute to let it soften. Add the eggs on top.
Use a spatula to thin out the eggs and cook by pushing the bottom up and letting the egg run under. Cook for about 2 minutes then flip. Now add ham to the other side of the pan.
Heat through for 2 minutes while the other side of the egg cooks. Put ham on top of the eggs.
Take the 2 pieces of bread and spread butter on them then place face down in the open section of the pan. Let brown for about 1 minute.
Now time to plate it. Place 1 piece of bread browned side down. Put stacked eggs and ham on top of it.
Add a generous amount of prepared or freshly made pesto to the other slice of bread and put it on top.
- Turkey and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Roast Beef and Red Pesto
- Cajun chicken with this spicy basil pesto from The View from Great Island
More recipes using pesto
And here you are…
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Ham and Spinach Breakfast Sandwich
- small sautee pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pieces sliced ham
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 teaspoon onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 pieces of bread use any bread you like
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon pesto fresh or prepared
- Heat up 1 tsp of oil, then add the onion. Let soften for 2-3 minutes stirring so they don't burn.1 teaspoon oil, 1 teaspoon onion
- In a bowl combine the eggs, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and milk and whip to combine.2 eggs, 1 teaspoon milk, 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Now add spinach to the pan. Cook for about a minute to let it soften. Add the eggs on top.1 handful spinach
- Using a spatula thin out the eggs and cook by pushing the bottom up and letting the egg run under. Cook for about 2 minutes, then flip.
- Add ham to the other side of the pan. Heat through for 2 minutes while the other side of the egg cooks. Put ham on top of the eggs.2 pieces sliced ham
- Take the 2 pieces of bread and spread butter on them then place face down in the open section of the pan. Let brown for about 1 minute.1 teaspoon butter, 2 pieces of bread
- Place 1 piece of bread browned side down. Put stacked eggs and ham on top of it. Add a generous amount of prepared or freshly made pesto to the other slice of bread and put it on top. Enjoy!1 tablespoon pesto
Tips for making this recipe:
- Using a smaller pan can make sure that the omelet is the right size to fit the bread.
- Since this is made to serve sandwich, there is no need for storage tips.
Originally published in July of 2017. Updated photos & recipe September of 2020.
Last Updated on July 12, 2022 by [email protected]
What a scrumptious breakfast recipe! I love the added boost of flavor from pesto!
Thank you Liz! Pesto does make this wonderful.
Love this combination, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day.
Most people do! I know it’s mine on the weekends. Thank you Cheri!
Breakfast of champions right there.
I agree Wendy!
That hotel looks so neat! This sandwich would certainly satisfy hunger any time of the day.
It was a really neat hotel. Right downtown and the room was immaculate. Thank you!
The Ninja Baker
Love the Hyatt, breakfast at any time of the day and your recipe! Duly noted that pesto is the secret to the success of the sandwich. #inspired =)
Thank you so much! I agree, Hyatt is the best.
I love pesto! This looks great!
Thank you so much Marye!
I’m like you about breakfast. I’ll have my coffee then decide. When I’m hungry for it, I’m REALLY hungry for it and this sandwich is perfect!
I’m the same way too Cindy. If I’m starving I will have something like this for ‘brunch’…or 10am here Lol.