Comfort food! Comfort food! Do you love comfort food? If you do I’ve got a dish for you. Creamy chicken, crunchy vegetables then ladled on top of cheesy potatoes (or noodles if you like) make for the ultimate comfort food. Make Chicken a la King for your family tonight.
What is best about Chicken a la King is that it doesn’t take too long. Here’s a tip: When I make any type of soup with chicken I usually take a whole large pack of chicken and cook it in a crock pot then freeze the leftovers for when I make recipes like this. Cooking it in the crock pot not only saves time it makes it tender and tasty. Now on to the recipe.
To start chop up the onions, carrots and celery. In a pan heat 2 Tbs butter then add the vegetables and start to sautee. Cook them stirring occasionally until softened, around 6 minutes. To the vegetables add the Tbs of flour then stir until the flour is all combined with the vegetables. This will make a roux to thicken everything up, but here’s the kicker, not too thick. When this goes over the potatoes or noddles you want it to be smooth not clumpy.
Time to add the chicken stock. Again stir everything together and let simmer for around 3 minutes. Now add the shredded chicken.
The last ingredient that makes this so creamy is Cream of Chicken. Add the can to the chicken mixture and heat through or 5 minutes. For this I made some cheesy mashed potatoes. Feel free to put this on top of regular potatoes or noodles. And here you are….
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Chicken a la King
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup white onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 2 Tbs butter
- 2 cloves garlic cloves minced
- 1 Tbs flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 10-1/2 ounces (1 can) cream of chicken soup
- 1-1/2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- To start chop up the onions, carrots and celery. In a pan heat 2 Tbs butter then add the vegetables and start to sautee. Cook them stirring occasionally until softened, around 6 minutes.
- To the vegetables add a Tbs of flour then stir until the flour is all combined with the vegetables.
- Add chicken stock. Stir everything together and let simmer for around 3 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken.
- Finally add the Cream of Chicken and heat through or 5 minutes.
- Ladle over potatoes or noodles. Enjoy!
Last Updated on January 10, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten