Air fryer egg rolls have the same crispy, crunchy outside as fried egg rolls only made with less mess. They make a great appetizer or a meal for two.
For this Mitten Movie Night, I decided to just make 8 egg rolls to serve just my husband and me to eat while enjoying a few beers that we brought back with us from our trip down South. Air fryers are perfect for small-batch snacking recipes like this one!
- What beer pairs well with small-batch snacks like egg rolls?
- What movie goes great with small-batch snacks like egg rolls with sweet and sour dipping sauce?
- How to make air fryer egg rolls step-by-step
- Tips & Variations
- Want more food and beer pairings with American Lagers?
- Air Fryer Egg Rolls
What beer pairs well with small-batch snacks like egg rolls?
The beer: Cheetah from Rhinegeist Brewery.
One of my favorite parts of traveling is seeing what the area we visit has to offer as far as craft beer. Recently we traveled from Michigan to Charleston to Savannah to Atlanta to Indianapolis to Chicago. PHEW! we found some great beers along the way including this one from a Cincinnati area brewery.
American lagers are what many deem mainstream beer. Most breweries and taprooms have a lager available year-round so it’s a great recommendation for those who are looking to dip their toes into something new.
What movie goes great with small-batch snacks like egg rolls with sweet and sour dipping sauce?
BINGE WATCH ON! Gearing up for Season 3 of Ozark so we’re rewatching Season 2. I mean, who remembers everything that happened last season when it’s been a year? Snacks, drinks, Netflix-night made.
This homemade pork egg roll recipe has-
- Pork, cabbage, and green onions. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover cooked pork.
- Soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and seasonings. Simple ingredients that you have in your refrigerator and pantry.
- Egg roll wrappers. Store-brought wrappers cook really well in the air fryer.
Visit YouTube for a video of how to make these
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
How to make air fryer egg rolls step-by-step
For these egg rolls, I used some leftover pork that I used to make BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza. I cooked the pork once in the crockpot and got double-duty meals out of it. Win-win! If you prefer chicken or beef feel free to swap them out in this recipe in a one-to-one ratio.
Start by chopping the cabbage and green onions. Shred the pork.
Add 1 teaspoon of oil and saute the egg filling in a skillet over medium heat until the cabbage is softened and the pork is slightly crispy around 10 minutes.
Once the cabbage has softened add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ground ginger, sugar, and garlic powder. Turn off the heat and let the filling cool slightly.
Grab the egg rolls wrappers, a plate, and a small dish of cool water. Don’t use warm water it will make the wrappers gummy).
On a plate or piece of wax paper lay down one egg roll wrapper with one corner facing you. Slightly below the center add two spoonfuls of filling. Be careful not to overfill.
Using your finger, dab it into the dish of water then rub water on all four sides side.
Fold the bottom over the filling.
Bring each side into the center, folding over the filling. Finish by rolling the rest of the way.
Spray the bottom of the air fryer with nonstick cooking spray. Lay the prepared egg rolls into the air fryer basket, 4 at a time, then spray the top with more cooking spray. *Make sure to check your air fryer manufacturer’s directions to see if it’s safe to use oil in it before proceeding.
Cook these in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 5 minutes.
Flip the egg rolls after 5 minutes, spray with more oil then ”fry’ for another 3 minutes.
Tips & Variations
- I had some leftover cooked pork but feel free to swap it out for cooked chicken.
- Make sure to let the filling cool before adding it to the wrapper, it can damage them if added when too hot.
- If frying you would place the egg rolls seam side down, but when making them in the air fryer you want to make sure they are seam side up to cook that part first.
- Short on time? Swap out the hand-chopped cabbage for a bag of coleslaw mix.
- Don’t like using nonstick cooking spray? Brush the top of the egg rolls with melted butter before cooking, and brush more butter on the other side after flipping.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce or this easy Chinese sweet and sour sauce from Pups with Chopsticks.
Place the leftovers in a covered container and refrigerate. Eat within 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer at 375 degrees for 5 minutes, flipping halfway through.
It is not recommended to freeze this egg rolls recipe. This is a small batch recipe that is perfect for using up leftover pulled pork and cabbage or coleslaw mix. Egg roll wrappers that have been opened and placed in a Ziploc bag are good in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Want more food and beer pairings with American Lagers?
Remove from the air fryer tray, pour some sweet and sour sauce into a dish and here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
- medium sautee pan
- air fryer
- 16 ounces egg roll wrappers, premade
- 4 tablespoons cool water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup cooked pulled pork shredded
- 1 cup head cabbage chopped
- 2 green onion stalks chopped
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- nonstick cooking spray
- Chop the cabbage and green onions. Shred the cooked pork.1 cup cooked pulled pork, 1 cup head cabbage, 2 green onion stalks
- In a pan add 1 tsp oil and sautee the egg roll filling until the cabbage is softened and the pork is slightly crispy around 10 minutes.1 teaspoon olive oil
- When the cabbage has softened add the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ground ginger, sugar, and garlic powder. Turn off the heat and let the filling cool slightly.2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon white sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- On a plate or piece of wax paper lay down one egg roll wrapper with one corner facing you. Slightly below the center add two spoonfuls of filling. Be careful not to overfill.16 ounces egg roll wrappers, premade
- Using your finger, dab it into the dish of water then rub water on all four sides side.4 tablespoons cool water
- Fold the bottom over the filling.
- Bring each side into the center, folding over the filling. Finish by rolling the rest of the way.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer with cooking spray. Lay the prepared egg rolls into the air fryer basket seam side up, 4 at a time, then spray the top with more oil.nonstick cooking spray
- Set the temperature to for 375 degrees and 'fry' for 5 minutes.
- Flip the egg rolls after 5 minutes, spray with more oil then ''fry' for another 3 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer tray and serve with sweet and sour sauce. Enjoy!
Tips for making this recipe:
- I use leftover cooked pork, but leftover cooked chicken works great too.
- Let the filling cool before adding it to the egg roll wrappers. If you add it while too hot, it can rip the wrappers.
- Use cool water, not warm or hot, to seal the wrappers.
- To store: add to a covered container and eat within 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer.
*Affiliate links are included in this post. Please read my Discloser Policy.
Last Updated on March 31, 2023 by Erin@BottomLeftoftheMitten