Looking for a simple side dish that your kids will love? Have a picky eater that thinks veggies are evil? Try my Cheesy Cauliflower that is a proven winner with my kids and I’m sure yours will love this side dish too.
My two boys couldn’t be more different nutrition wise. If you set a bowl of fruit and a cookie in from of my 10 year old he would always choose the fruit. He likes to generally eat healthy and only complains when I serve green beans or Brussels sprouts.
My 3 year old on the other hand could sniff out a sugar laden treat from 10 miles away. Most days it’s a struggle to get a banana down him for breakfast, unless I make my Swedish Pancakes with Brown Sugar Bananas, but even then it’s a struggle. So I make small concessions and try my very best to make good things as appealing as possible. And this dish is a hit with both my boys.
Start by chopping the core off the cauliflower and chop into similar sizes. Add to a pot of water and set to boil for 15 minutes. The base for the sauce is just a basic white one. Remove the cooked cauliflower from the pot and drain the water. To that pot add the butter and cook over medium heat to melt. Once melted whisk the flour 1 Tablespoon at a time and stir to combine. Now add the milk and continue to whisk until it starts thickening. It’s time to add the spices.
Four simple ingredients: salt, pepper, garlic powder then Parmesan. I love the powder kind and use it constantly. Now the fifth spice is really what makes this dish a stand out~nutmeg. A few years back I was watching The Rachel Ray Show and she recommended adding nutmeg to cheese sauces. Ever since then that is what I’ve done. Who am I to question Rachel Ray!
Once you’ve added the spices and Parmesan whisk to combine then add 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and stir until melted and combined completely. Add the cauliflower back into the pot and stir the sauce and cauliflower so that it covers every piece. Cheesy……so good! Put the cauliflower into a greased oven proof bowl then sprinkle with the reminding 1/4 cup cheddar cheese. Put into a 350 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes. This is the perfect kid friendly recipe to add to any dish. And here you are……
From our home in the Bottom Left of the Mitten to yours ~ Enjoy!
As always thank you to our Sunday Supper host this week, Anne from Simple and Savory. If you want more vegetable recipes to make kids happy check out all these other recipes from Sunday Supper bloggers.
Sunday Supper Kid Friendly Vegetable Recipes
- Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Kid Sized Smoothies by The Freshman Cook
- Sweet Potato Crust Quiche by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Muffins with Veggie Cream Cheese by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Broccoli Shells and Cheese by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Eat Your Veggies Beef Tacos by Simple and Savory
- Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce for Orange Orzo by Caroline’s Cooking
- Veggie Ramen by NinjaBaker.com
- Broccoli Tots by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheesy Cauliflower by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Kid-Friendly Baked Potato Fries by Hardly A Goddess
- Salad on a Stick by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Zuppa di Ravioli by Gourmet Everyday
- Dairy Free Veggie Ice Pops by Our Good Life
- Healthy Homemade Taquitos by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies by A Mind Full Mom
- Veggie Egg Rolls by My Savory Spoon
For even more kid friendly vegetables check out these Vegetable Recipes for Picky Eaters by The Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Need a quick pie recipe?